PDA

View Full Version : Buying Pocket Hole Screws

Kirk Simmons
04-02-2010, 9:57 AM
Where should I buy my Kreg screws?

A friend of mine and I are avid Kreg jig users, and since we work with a lot of wood of identical sizes we are looking into buying one of the BIG packs, the 3000-screw variety, and then splitting it to save on costs.

My local woodworking store of choice is Rockler, but they don't have the 3000-screw units in their catalog so I can't easily order it from them. I have a local Woodcraft, and they don't have it listed either. I also have access to HD, Lowes, and Menards, but they don't normally carry these boxes.

Alternatively I can do the internet route. McFeely's will sell us 3000 Blue-Kote Kreg 2" screws for $78, plus either $11 shipping or free shipping if you get their $20 DIY screw assortment. That comes out at 3.26 cents per Kreg screw, plus the DIY assortment. Right now we can buy them in 250-packs @ $18.23 ($17 + Tax), which is 7.29 cents per screw. Buying in bulk is obviously more cost effective.

[Edit] Amazon's price on this is also $89, with free ground shipping, so they're essentially identical to McFeely's.

Where do you folks buy your pocket hole screws?

Brandon Weiss
04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
You can always try Amazon.com. They do a lot of free shipping on stuff that's more than $25. I buy a lot of small hardware items like that from Amazon. Plus, if you plan to buy a lot off Amazon they have what's called a Prime Membership. $80/year. Good deal if you buy a lot from them but look at the items that are Prime eligible first, make sure it's worth your while. They do give you 30 days of free trial of Prime too. I made full use of my 30 days free shipping then canceled because I don't buy enough to make it worth the $80/yr cost.

Scott Schwake
04-02-2010, 1:45 PM
$1 shipping at McFeelys through May 31 (code XA19001X), gets you down to 2.63 cents/screw.

Alex Leslie
04-02-2010, 2:25 PM
I have bought lots of screws, tools and hardware from McFeely's over the past 20 years or so. Their customer service is A+++. I did buy a 3,000 pack of 1-1/4" Kreg screws form them a couple of years ago. I don't remember the price, but I usually ordered several items at a time to keep the shipping to a minimum.

Joe Chritz
04-02-2010, 2:27 PM
All my screws come from either Custom service hardware or McFeeley's. Both have excellent products and good service.

Generally I toss on a box on other orders so rarely have to order just for fasteners.

Joe

Dan Bowman
04-02-2010, 3:26 PM
You might try Sommerfeld tools or these guys: http://www.cshardware.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;products_no_tree?cat=3011

they're both a lot cheaper

glenn bradley
04-02-2010, 9:07 PM
I used to buy Kregs when they are on sale, anywhere. I have switched to McFeely's pan heads for almost everything although there are still some washer heads still in the case.