PDA

View Full Version : Cherry gloat and a question

Darius Ferlas
04-02-2010, 9:47 AM
A few weeks ago high winds in Niagara knocked some trees down. A fella had one of those. A buddy of mine from work knows the fella and he also has another buddy who has a portable mill. The tree was about to be chopped for firewood when my work buddy said to his tree buddy that would be a shame to waste this log for firewood instead of asking the portable mill buddy to mill the log into something prettier. He offered his own firewood in exchange for the cherry logs so he could give them to me for no charge. OK, it's getting complicated. Long story short, delivered an hour ago, 200bf of cherry lumber and there was a charge after all - all of $40 (beer plus gas).

These are the benefits of working in a rural area where life seems somewhat less competitive and there is a lot of bartering going on. Sometimes the currency seems to be simple kindness and reciprocation of favors when needed.

The lumber is 9 feet 6 inches long, mostly 8/4 and a some 4/4. Looks like very good quality wood. While unloading the boards (the green 8/4 are ball busting heavy) I counted 3 knots in the whole pile and almost no sap wood.

Originally I hoped to have it kiln dried for $50 but the kiln operator who is yet another buddy of my work buddy (yup, lotsa buddies) confirmed some of what other Creekers kindly warned me about in another thread. The way the kiln operation operation is set up the fast drying would ruin the wood, so I opted for air drying. In two to three years these beautiful boards will hopefully be turned into something more useful.

Now I gotta paint the ends and sticker the pile but I'm not sure if I need to use some special paint, or would regular oil paint do?

Frank Drew
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Darius,

Any end coating is better than no coating, but I think some of the dedicated sealers might work a little better. Anchorseal is one brand, and I think it's sold at some of the big box stores; I've always been very satisfied with the Green Wood Sealer sold by CraftUSA. (They might be the same thing -- waxy emulsions -- in different containers, for all I know.)

If the boards have already started to check and crack before you get the sealer on, cut them back a few inches to get to fresh wood.

Do that, and stack and sticker them well in a good location and you'll be very happy with what you've got in a few years.

Robert Reece
04-02-2010, 12:29 PM
You don't have long to get that stuff stickered. It might have started moving already so you better get done and get some weight on it. I used 4" solid core cinder block @1.49 each at Lowe's. The cheapest thing per lb I could find.

Neil Brooks
04-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Uh .... WOW !!!!

What a great score !!!!

Darius Ferlas
04-02-2010, 1:27 PM
Thanks all for the replies.
The wood is now stickered, the ends are trimmed as suggested (thanks Fran, there were already some checks) and painted.

Robert, I clamped the whole pile together in a couple strategic points and using 2by4's across the stack. It seems to be holding the pile nice and solid. I will likely get some cinder blocks, since the old wisdom of you can never have enough clamps certainly applies to me.

Now I have to set the timer's alarm buzz to 2 years from now and see what happens then.

Jerry Olexa
04-02-2010, 2:01 PM
You LUCKY DAWG!!!!!!

Van Huskey
04-02-2010, 6:32 PM
Very nice. I HATE waiting for mother nature to dry wood.

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
04-05-2010, 3:04 PM
Very nice. I HATE waiting for mother nature to dry wood.

I look at it the other way, just like having money in your 401K, the wood you have drying is for the future. Just like you can never have too much ($) in your retirement account, we can never have too wood in storage for the day that you need the perfect board. I bought almost a cord size pile 30 years ago, from a mill that was closing down in our state, and moving across the border, its all gone, except for 3 perfect Cherry boards, 4/4, 12" x 12', I hate to cut them, so clear and perfect looking, there will be the correct project for them some day. My job takes me over a large area of the middle of Massachusetts, and if I can, when I see a bandsaw mill, or lumber for sale, I always check it out, who can pass on an odd piece of wood?