PDA

View Full Version : Can one demagnetize a tool??

Jack Mincey
04-02-2010, 7:59 AM
I bought a Sorby ½” thick bowl scraper last week when I got a chance to go by a Woodcraft store 2 hours away from where I live. I really like it, but the thing is magnetic enough to make it sticky feeling on the tool rest. Is there any way to demagnetize the steel so that it will be easier to use.
Thanks,
Jack

Ted Calver
04-02-2010, 8:08 AM
No personal experience, but you might try this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5932

Dick Strauss
04-02-2010, 11:07 PM
whileJack,
An old soldering gun will work well. You need to pass the tool through the loop while pulling the trigger and the magnetism will be gone.

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Dick is right. I put a loop of copper wire in mine. I put the tool in it and pull the trigger while pulling the tool out.

Tony Pridmore
04-03-2010, 8:19 AM
No personal experience, but you might try this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5932

That thing didn't help a bit for my gouges. I took it back.

Sean Ackerman NY
04-03-2010, 8:44 AM
A simple demagnetizer won't work? I sell a few of these things, I think they're under $10. I was always under the impression you pass a tool, something shaped exactly like a turning tool would fit perfectly, through a ring and voila, demagnetization. No?

Rob Burch
04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I have the same bowl scrapers with the same problem.

I tried the soldering iron as Bernie suggested this weekend and unfortunately it did not work. If anything I swear they are more magnetic.

I may try a loop of copper wire instead of just passing th escraper through the space between the legs of the soldering tip.

They are so magnetic that they will pull a credit card sized piece of light gage metal (diamond hone) off a table from 3" away. It is almost impossible to slide them across the tool rest.

Paul Atkins
04-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I have the same problem with a few tools and a dial caliper too. I know there are demagnetizers for machine tools/chucks but they are pretty expensive. I remember making a transformer in 8th grade shop class, so maybe I'll get inventive and make a turners tool demagnetizer. (In my spare time---)

John Keeton
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Some months ago, there were some threads on tool storage, and several folks store their lathe tools on magnetic strips. At the time, I commented that I would be concerned about them becoming magnetized. My concerns were more regarding filings sticking to the tools when sharpened as I have had regular bench chisels where that has happened.

Sticking to the tool rest would be very annoying!

Josiah Bartlett
04-05-2010, 4:42 PM
Find an old bulk tape demagnetizer at a flea market or goodwill. Turn it on with the tool against it, then keep it on while you pull the tool away as far as you can with your arms, then shut it off. It should work. Make sure you leave your wallet somewhere else while doing it or your credit cards can get scrambled.

Steve Campbell
04-05-2010, 7:02 PM
It seems to me I remember as a kid, Many, many years ago, that we used to just give a magnetized piece a good rap with a hammer.......

Steve

Derek Noel
04-05-2010, 8:33 PM
I am a mechanical engineer and this question got the attention of the nerd in me and i had to do a little research.

I found the paper "precision demagnetizing and testing equipment" at "http://www.rbannis.com/files/NOTES.pdf"
they had 3 options:
1 heat the steel red hot, then slowly cool (you will loose more than the magnetism)
2 expose the steel to a carefully controlled magnetic field of opposite polarity, but oriented in exactly the same direction as the original magnetizing field. (good luck:confused:)
3 expose the steel to a magnetic field of cyclically reversing polarity,

the third option is Josiah's bulk tape demagnetizer. I have used one of these in a friends shop, very effective!
However in theory i think you should be able to do the same thing with a strong solid magnet like the harbor freight thing. you get the idea. the key would be to pass the tool in and out of alternating polarity magnetic fields of the magnet.
the process would be something like this:
10 strokes the length of the tool with the North end of the magnet
10 strokes withe the south end in the same orientation
9n, 9s, 8n, 8s .... down 1,
then 1 with the north end held 1/8" off the tool
then 1 with the south end held 1/8" off the tool

several other articles also discussed mechanical randomizing the magnetic partials. AKA beating it with a hammer. (you might try a flew taps but i suspect metal deformation would be required to demagnetize the tool)

Rick Gibson
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
The bulk tape demagnetizer will work great if you can find one. I've had one since the 60's and am always using it. The soldering gun might work if you make a wire loop you can put the tool through turn on the gun before bringing the tool near it and turn it off after removing the tool that goes for the bulk tape demagnetizer as well. if you turn it off when the tool is still close there is a good chance you will re magnetize the tool.

Paul Atkins
04-08-2010, 1:41 PM
Hey, I found the transformer I made in shop class (amazing what you save for 46 years) and it still works. I just dragged the tools, including my caliper that has been magnetized for years, across the end of the transformer an they were demagnetized in one pass. I'm not sure it is big enough to demagnetize my three jaw chuck, but I'm going to try. I can't remember the specs. on this except the primary is wound with #26 gauge and the secondary #20. You don't need the secondary for a magnet. It was wound around a bunch of galvanized sheet metal bolted together. Anyway, I solved a problem that has plagued me for years by a suggestion here. Thanks.

Mike Minto
04-14-2010, 1:59 PM
point the tool north and bang it (carefully) with a hammer - wear eye & ear protection - heard this can induce magnetism, perhaps this will help get rid of some.

Jack Mincey
04-14-2010, 5:36 PM
Thanks everyone, I didn't even know this thread was still active. I will try everything until I get it fixed. It is amazing how it seems to stick to a tool rest instead of sliding as it should.
Jack

Mark Burge
04-15-2010, 12:14 AM
As much as I have tools bang down on the tool rest when I let them come up a bit, I would be glad for some magnetic pull to keep me on the rest. I can understanding that it might make it difficult to roll a flat tool though.