PDA

View Full Version : Today's Gloat

Jim Koepke
04-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Had to go into town today so a few stops were planned. Forgot to write one down, so I forgot to go into the Restore to look around.

I went to the "Antique" shop because the woman there always has a selection of scythes. There are areas on my acreage where the riding mower just can't go. Well, not only did she have an exceptionally good scythe today, there was also a good Disston 16" back saw for $6. I just could not pass that up. Has terrible teeth, a bit of pitting and a chunk missing from the top horn, but this shouldn't be too big a challenge to put into shape when time allows.

jim

Tri Hoang
04-01-2010, 11:59 PM
It's indeed a worthy gloat. Good one, Jim. I'm looking for a good tenon saw (rip) as well. Let me know if you don't want to keep it.

Rick Erickson
04-02-2010, 7:01 AM
Nice score Jim.

Zach Dillinger
04-02-2010, 8:40 AM
Had to go into town today so a few stops were planned. Forgot to write one down, so I forgot to go into the Restore to look around.

I went to the "Antique" shop because the woman there always has a selection of scythes. There are areas on my acreage where the riding mower just can't go. Well, not only did she have an exceptionally good scythe today, there was also a good Disston 16" back saw for $6. I just could not pass that up. Has terrible teeth, a bit of pitting and a chunk missing from the top horn, but this shouldn't be too big a challenge to put into shape when time allows.

jim

Nice find! Sharpen that beast up and cut some tenons!

Zach

Joe McMahon
04-02-2010, 9:00 AM
Jim, why not just send that bad boy on out to me and I'll double your money? Win - Win, right???

Nice grab, enjoy!

Joe

Adam Woznicki
04-02-2010, 9:46 AM
Hey that looks like the one I picked up yesterday from a garage sale. 14" Disston.

James Taglienti
04-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Nice jim...
speaking of backsaws, i just sharpened my wife's and while testing it out I slammed it into the back of my hand by mistake. I guess it was sharp because it left a gaping hole, one of those nasty ones that you have to squeeze it to get it to bleed.
i think it's because the saw is only an 8" and im used to 14

Jonathan McCullough
04-02-2010, 1:04 PM
D-95 "Masterpiece" with Disstonite handle . . .

$3

Dan Andrews
04-02-2010, 8:21 PM
Good find Jim. I have yet to run accross a good used backsaw in my travels.