PDA

View Full Version : I Know, I Know It's flat work

Nick Mastropietro
04-01-2010, 11:40 PM
But what the heck it's flat work that supports the vortex. So here is a picture of the what will eventually be my lathe cabinet. Oak veneerer plywood sides and back and later drawer fronts and top. 3 - 3H x 14.5W x 16D across the top, the bottom left will be 3 - 4.5H x 21W x 16D and on the right top 4.5H x 21W x 16D below that 8.5H x 21W x 16D. 3/4" top with a 2" rails on the sides and back. I found a place locally that sells what they call Tool Control Foam, 48" x 56" sheets 1 1/8" thick. $65.00 I will line the drawers with this and make cut outs for the chucks, jaws, wrenches and other stuff. I'll post other pictures when it's done.

alex carey
04-01-2010, 11:57 PM
I guess we'll accept it this time Nick, but only because it going towards turnings.

Reed Gray
04-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Nick,
For my style of turning, I stand up next to the bed of the lathe a lot, and that cabinet would be in the way for me. I would be leaning on and over it.

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Nick - looks like you have things pretty well thought out but Reed brings up a valid concern - will you have enough room to use a large bowl gouge or be able to get close enough to the lathe bed when necessary?

Nick Mastropietro
04-02-2010, 6:51 AM
Hi Steve & Reed; My measurements show the cabinet will extend beyond the bed by about 3". I don't suppose I know whether or not this will be an issue when turning. At this point, if it is, I'll just have to off set the cabinet toward the rear and it will overhang the ballast box by that amount. One other thing, since the only time I have turned anything was a week or so ago in a beginners class at the local Woodcraft, I don't think I have a style -yet :confused: :o. Thanks for voicing the concern, I'll be sure to keep whatever options that are still available, open as I complete the unit.

John Keeton
04-02-2010, 7:35 AM
Nice work, Nick, and so long as you haven't "tied it down" yet, moving it toward the rear shouldn't be a problem. I agree that it could be in the way as situated.

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Looks good Nick. Should work pretty good for you

Steve Kubien
04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Something I do not understand about all of the cabinets I see built for Jet 1642's... One of the things I love about my lathe is that there is nothing right in front of the ways, all of the way to the floor. No cabinet, no shelf. I can get right up close to the lathe. With all of these cabinets, I see the user is forced away from the lathe bed and must lean or reach. At least that's how I see it. I have never used one so I submit that the pictures could be deceiving....

enlighten me of Ministers of Mayo Light!

Jim Underwood
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I've always been glad that there's nothing in the way of me picking up that part or tool or wood I dropped behind my lathe. If I had a cabinet there, I'd have more storage, but it'd be a pain to get the stuff out from behind it.... Not to mention clean out from behind it...

Kindof a catch 22 I believe...

Reed Gray
04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Jim,
You do have one of those grabber stick things don't you? Squeeze the handle and it grabs things. Very handy, especially since it is more difficult to bend over now. Getting down on the prayer bones is easy, getting back up is the hard part.

robo hippy

Nick Mastropietro
04-02-2010, 1:29 PM
Guys, for me it is all about the storage space. I suppose it's really a personal issue of mine, I'm somewhat of a "neat-nick" ha ha. I suppose it's a leftover form my Navy days. It's there's a place for everything and everything must be in its place mania. Seriously, my garage shop is a bit on the small side considering most of the machines are floor style mustard monsters, table saw, band saw, belt/disc sander, jointer, planer, dust collector. Space is at a premium. As far as getting to the back of the lathe, It's on wheels so it can be pushed around when need be and oh ya Reed, I have the pully-squezzy-picker-upper-thingy too. I promise I won't anchor the cabinet till I know for sure if I need to be up on the bed or not. You guy's are great and I appreciate each perspective.
Thanks

Jim Underwood
04-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Jim,
You do have one of those grabber stick things don't you? Squeeze the handle and it grabs things. Very handy, especially since it is more difficult to bend over now. Getting down on the prayer bones is easy, getting back up is the hard part.

robo hippy

'Fraid I don't have one a those nifty tools. And getting down on the knees with a torn meniscus isn't exactly easy anymore....:(

But I try to stay flexible, so I'm still bending over (a little) and getting down on the floor (sometimes).

I think if you like the cabinet there, more power to ya. You look like you're doing a fine job of it.

I wish I had the ability to organize and neaten up on the fly, but it usually takes a major dedicated effort... Last weekend I finally got the courage to take a "before" picture, but haven't yet got around to the "after" picture... :o I'm workin' on it though. Just cut out parts for two cabinets to go under my future miter saw and radial arm tables. And I've hauled off a whole bunch of junk, and need to get rid of some more. Gotta make decisions about those old double windows, 7 or 8 raised panel doors, wide sander belts, among other things...

So don't let us stop you from making your storage place.....