PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate (and I mean Ultmate) Shop Stool

Scott Morrison
04-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Howdy everyone,

I thought you might enjoy seeing the completed pictures of my latest creation, which I dubbed, "The Ultimate Shop Stool."

Built out of cherry, mostly 8/4 wood. Overlapping dado joints and a drop-leaf writing surface for one of the arms.

Enjoy!

http://www.finewoodworker.com/images/shop-stool_large.jpg
http://www.finewoodworker.com/images/shop-leaf-down_large.jpg
http://www.finewoodworker.com/images/shop-leaf-up_large.jpg

Leo Vogel
04-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Scott - nice chair. How did you "cup out" the seat?

Steven Berg
04-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Beautiful piece! And, how did you gouge out the seat?

Scott Morrison
04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I've built my share of seats, so I used the same method I always use.

I start with a Holey Galahad aggressive carbide wheel, follow it with 24 grit grinding disk and lastly a 40 grit pneumatic ROS. I can go from glued-up wood to a finished seat in 9 minutes (my record), but normally don't like to work that fast.

Hope this answers your questions. Cheers!

Abi Parris
04-02-2010, 8:38 AM
Great job! Love the way the writing area portion is hinged/able to fold out of the way.

Myk Rian
04-02-2010, 9:50 AM
Beautiful. No cup holder? :)

Salem Ganzhorn
04-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Really gorgeous! I like the selection of wood for the back slat.
I also really like the leg design. But I am not sure what is splayed? Obviously something is because otherwise the back legs would connect to the front legs instead of the cross-brace.

Very cool!
Salem

Scott Morrison
04-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Myk, funny you should mention that. I designed one version with a cup holder. How cool is that? I have it built into the writing surface.

Salem, there isn't really a "splay", per se. Since the seat is more narrow in the rear than the front, the stretchers must either be installed on an angle, or connected to the front stretcher. But all of the legs are at 90-degrees to the seat...no splay.

Thanks for the comments fellas!

Stephen Edwards
04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
That's a really nice stool! I enjoyed reading about your technique for shaping the seat. When you build another one it sure would be helpful and much appreciated if you would do a pictorial tutorial of the steps that you described. Nine minutes from start to finish! THAT is amazing. I'd really like to learn how to do that (not that I'm shooting for the nine minutes, though:D)

Thanks for posting....

Tony Shea
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Very nice work...I need one of them for my shop for sure. Great design as well. All around just great craftsmanship! Belongs in the projects page as well.

Salem Ganzhorn
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Ah, the perspective confused me. Very cool. But I have to agree with Myk, it is hard to call it "Ultimate" without a cup holder :).
Salem

Troy Turner
04-02-2010, 11:01 AM
I'll take two :) Very impressive and nicely built!!!

Louie Ballis
04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Wow great job. And to think that I was up till 10 o'clock trying to center a router in a table.

I am soooo out of my league here.

Van Huskey
04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Very cool, form and function.

Paul Atkins
04-02-2010, 3:31 PM
Looks great, but wouldn't work for me, I'd just sit there wondering why no work was getting done. Kinda hard to write over the hinge?

Peter Quinn
04-02-2010, 4:46 PM
Fantastic!Its a beautiful piece of seating. However...

Is it possible to create a matching self standing cup holder, or some sort of attachment that hangs off the side? Possibly something on casters? Somehow nothing in this country can really be "the ultimate" without the ability to securely hold your favorite beverage.

Seriously, beautiful work. Must be a pleasure to sit there.

Kent A Bathurst
04-02-2010, 5:15 PM
Would also do nice duty in the billiards room - add drink-holder and an ashtray holder (hey now, c'mon - somethings are traditional, and an ashtray in a pool hall is required - watch The Hustler).

Like that piece a lot. Well done.

Scott Morrison
04-02-2010, 6:42 PM
Love the idea of a Billiards Stool Kent! A cup holder, as I stated in an earlier post, is one of the options with which this can be built, as well as a magazine rack, book shelf thingy, or any number of creative ideas. Great minds think alike.

As to the ashtray...

I treat myself to a really good cigar after each successful project. While the ashtray may not be built in, it sits atop the desk nicely. :p

Thanks again everyone.