PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Pen Lathe

Jake Byrd
11-10-2004, 5:57 PM
Hey All!!:)

As some of you know, I recieved a Jet Mini Pen Lathe for my birthday. Well, now I want to turn a bowl or box or something, but I am afraid me lathe can't accomodate a chuck. Any suggestions on how I would turn something like that on a lathe as tiny as mine?

Thanks a lot,

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-10-2004, 7:20 PM
Having used one of those lathes, I'm not sure, if you can get anything to hold the wood to make a bowl, unless it was a collet chuck.

I don't remember; is there threads available at the drive end?

Bruce

Jake Byrd
11-10-2004, 8:06 PM
Divet end?

Dale Thompson
11-10-2004, 8:09 PM
Hey All!!:)

As some of you know, I recieved a Jet Mini Pen Lathe for my birthday. Well, now I want to turn a bowl or box or something, but I am afraid me lathe can't accomodate a chuck. Any suggestions on how I would turn something like that on a lathe as tiny as mine?

Thanks a lot,

Jake,
I use a full-sized Nova chuck on my Jet mini. Any chuck should be OK just so it fits the 1x8tpi threads on the headstock. If someone GIVES you a Nova Compac chuck - DON'T take it. They are out of production for a reason.

Lastly, as you well know, speeds for pens are VERY different than for bowls. If you have the VS, crank it down. If you have the belt driven unit, start with the slowest speed. Use the same tools as you would with a full-size lathe. I know - information overload and you already knew all this stuff. :D

Good luck with the bowls! :)

Dale T.

Jake Byrd
11-10-2004, 8:23 PM
Dale,

Thanks for your reply BUT, my lathe is smaller than the mini, it is the mini pen. Any advice, lol?

Thanks,
Jake Byrd

Andy London
11-10-2004, 8:46 PM
Jake, I think you are out of luck, the pen lathe doesn't have a threaded headstock to attach anything to, if you could change the spindle you might be in luck but it would probably be more cost effective to buy the Jet Mini.

Dale Thompson
11-10-2004, 9:02 PM
Dale,

Thanks for your reply BUT, my lathe is smaller than the mini, it is the mini pen. Any advice, lol?

Thanks,
Jake Byrd

Jake,
Sorry! :( I'm not familiar with that lathe. Anyway, I'm usually wrong even about the stuff that I SHOULD know something about. :o Good luck!! :)

Dale T.

James Farrow
11-10-2004, 9:45 PM
Since the VS version of the Jet Mini lathe is out the regular
Jet Mini 1014 Lathe is now going for $199.00 at some places.

Craft Supplies USA is one place I have seen it for that price.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

James :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-10-2004, 10:35 PM
If price is a major concern, you might try to locate a Wilton mini lathe. It will do up to a 9" diameter bowl. Menards had it on sale for $79.00. Regular price is 139.00. It is VS and not a bad lathe. I use it as a traveling lathe.

Bruce

Jake Byrd
11-10-2004, 10:55 PM
The thing is, I got this lathe a couple months ago, and mom doesn't think I need to be getting something new.

Thanks,

Randy Meijer
11-11-2004, 1:36 AM
Jake, I think you are out of luck, the pen lathe doesn't have a threaded headstock to attach anything to, if you could change the spindle you might be in luck but it would probably be more cost effective to buy the Jet Mini.

I think we are talking about what is officially called a JET Pen Lathe(JPL-358). There is actually no "mini" in the name. It has a 3-1/2" swing and 8" between centers. Contrary to the information quoted above, the unit does have a threaded spindle.....3/4" x 16.

The PSI catalog shows several alternatives that you might consider:

3 jaw mini chucks.....around $50
2" faceplate.............abiut $11
Mini screw chuck.......about $18

I just got one of these units at a garage sale......brand new for $25 and haven't used it very much so my opinion may not be worth much. (My first lathe.) The lathe has very limited capabilities and unless you are tight for space or money, spending a few extra dollars and buying a mini lathe is a much better option foir those who want to anything more than pens, yo-yos, key chains and Christmas ornaments. Another problem I have run into is the spindle has a #0 Morse taper so you can't find Jacobs chucks or use other mandrels which have either #1 or #2 tapers. Also, it has a very tiny motor....1/12 HP. If you haven't used you unit yet, I would give serious consideration to returning it for a mini lathe.....which you could buy for almost the same price.

Now, having mentioned the bad news, let me give you the good news. For making pens, it is a nice little machine and does quite a nice job!! But, of course, that is what you would expect since it was designed to do just that. I've only made a few pens; but have no real complaints. As you already know, it is very portable......you can take it anywhere!! If you decide to keep it, I think you will be quite happy with it; but please refrain from asking it to do more than it was desighed to do.

BTW, the minimum rotational speed is 1600 RPMS. Not knowing anything about turning bowls, I can't say whether this is apporpriate for bowles or not. I understand bowls get turned at slower speeds. You will have the "work" speed as a 9" bowl being turned at 500 RPMS so you may be OK with small bowls. Someone else will have to help you out with that.

Forgot to add: The PSI web addy is www.pennstateind.com (http://www.pennstateind.com) if you want to look at some of these accessories. :D

Bill Grumbine
11-11-2004, 8:13 AM
The thing is, I got this lathe a couple months ago, and mom doesn't think I need to be getting something new.

Thanks,

Jake, if you end up like a lot of us, you will go straight from your Mom saying that to your wife saying that. :D Now is your opportunity to make a bunch of pens, sell them, save the money, and THEN start talking about a new lathe.

I started out with a bigger lathe than you have, and I even made some bowls on it, but once I discovered pens, I made almost nothing but for over three years. They were very profitable for me, and financed several lathe upgrades. Now I am making bowls all the time on a huge lathe, and I teach it too. You are much younger than I am, so you have lots of time in front of you. If you can find a market for some pens, you will be surprised at how fast you can save up for a bigger machine, and it will also show your Mom that you are serious about this stuff.

I would also go as far as to say don't waste any time or money trying to turn a bowl on this machine. With its high speeds and low torque, it will be frustrating to say the least, and you might even burn it up. Besides, if Mom doesn't want you buying a new lathe, she will hit the roof when presented with the need for a chuck and a bowl gouge! :eek:

Of course, you do not need a chuck to turn bowls - a faceplate will do, and you can do it the old fashioned way. Still, you will need some sort of a gouge or scraper designed for bowl turning, and tooling prices have to be seen to be believed.

Bill

Jake Byrd
11-11-2004, 9:43 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Mr. Grumbine, I have seen yor lathe on your site, yo must have sold a couple pens for that one;) . I have today off from school, so I am going to turn a few pens.

Thanks a lot:D ,

Jake Byrd
11-11-2004, 9:51 AM
What is a good lathe I should set my sights on? BTW, I really, really like the lathe I have. I got bit by the bug fast like you guys said, and now want to try bowls.

Thanks,

Ernie Hobbs
11-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Jake:

Where are you in Winston-Salem? I went to school there (WF) and my in-laws are there. My family is in Eastern NC. It is a great place to learn woodworking. I hope you have checked out Old Salem and especially MESDA (Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts) to see how the true master woodworkers do it. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your work once Dad comes through with the Digital Camera for Christmas:D. Go Deacs!

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL

Jake Byrd
11-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Hey Ernie,

I live about 5 mins from the Wake Campus and I have gone to Old Salem several times, and it is great.

See Ya,:D