PDA

View Full Version : router lift installation opinions

dan sherman
04-01-2010, 7:01 PM
So I finished routing out the recess for my Benchdog last night, and after messing with it a little bit, I wanted to get some opinions before I finalize anything.

1. how tight should the lift be in the routed recess? Mine is really tight right now, you need to tap it with your fist a few time to get it to drop down in, and the same to get it back out. I'm thinking it might be to tight when you consider swelling of the mdf do to humidity changes etc.

2. How deep should the recess be? right now the lift sits proud of the top by 1/32". I know it needs to be deeper than the thickness of the plate, but I'm not sure how much allowance I should give for leveling. 1/64", 1/32", 1/16" ?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146994&stc=1&d=1270162890

glenn bradley
04-01-2010, 7:34 PM
My lift (PRL) fits snug but not that snug. It has spring loaded plungers on perpendicular edges to make it tight and that was enough to snag the laminate when I took it out . . . once. That being said, that was the only time I have taken it out since I installed it back in June of 2006. I cut an extra 1/16" for adjustment.

Bill Huber
04-01-2010, 9:25 PM
I think it should just drop in, not loose but not tight.

The plate should be the same height as the table, dead flat.

When you think about it, when your run something though it as you come to the end of the cut you don't want the item to drop down at all.

Now if the plate has good leveling screws I would say drop it down 1/16 and then bring it up.

tyler mckenzie
04-01-2010, 11:15 PM
i just made a router table for my bench dog, i also used 3 layers of mdf. i used leveling screws and had a tight fit for the plate. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131182 for pictures.

Chip Lindley
04-02-2010, 12:36 AM
My JessEm Mast-R-Lift has levellling tabs at each corner, adjusted with an allen wrench, so I recessed the plate an additional 1/32". The JessEm can also be adjusted to fit tightly in the tabletop recess.

Appears yours relies on screws to attach the plate to the tabletop, so leave it a bit on the loose side for easy removal. Shim the plate even with tabletop so that stock does not raise or dip over the plate. This point is where everyone finds if their tabletop is flat, or sags. Extra bracing with shims beneath, may be added to remedy sags.