PDA

View Full Version : What hollow form tools?

Fred Perreault
04-01-2010, 6:25 PM
I was wondering what tools one might want to get into for hollowing out smaller to medium depth forms. I figure 5"-8" wide, by 5"-8" high. I am not into vases or anything tall yet, nor do I choose to get into protracted hollowing systems. But the occasional practice and intoduction to the nerve wracking but hopefully gratifying experience seems the next step in my turning progression. So, do the swan neck tools qualify, and if so, do we use one with a flat side to ride on the tool rest, or do they not make them? Any suggestions from the Creeksters would be welcome, but go easy on my wallet....I'm retired and they are cutting back the hours for the LOML :)

Bruce Pratt
04-01-2010, 7:01 PM
Fred,

I use the Ellsworth hollowing tools, straight and bent. They come in two sizes, 6" and 12" shafts; make your own handles. They are about as simple a design as you can get with hollowing tools, but work ok for me. Drop me a PM if you want to come up and try them (We're not that far apart).

------
Bruce

Fred Perreault
04-01-2010, 7:18 PM
Thanks for the offer, Bruce. Do the tools have a flat side, or are they fully round in cross section?

Bob Haverstock
04-01-2010, 7:24 PM
Fred,

John Jordan makes a nice smaller hollowing tool. It uses a high speed steel tool bit. I have one and I like it. Just google John Jordan for info.

Bob Haverstock

Bruce Pratt
04-01-2010, 7:32 PM
Fred,

They are full round shanks, but have a small contact surface with the wood. Torque is a non-issue for the straight cutter, and is very modest for the bent cutter.
-----------
Bruce

Mark Levitski
04-01-2010, 8:04 PM
Fred, ditto on the Jordan tools. There are a lot of hollowing tools that are similar and would work well. They all require a learning curve and differ mostly in the fine points and the access hole in what you turn. The small scraper cutters work well, and with some practice are not that difficult--like any of the other tools you've learned really.

Don't need a flat side on the shaft--you should have the flexibility of being able to rotate it on the tool rest to vary the aggressiveness of the cut.

Swan necks are great, but the Ellsworth bent is too with a little more practice w/ control.

For your dimensions I mostly use the Jordan 3/4" tools with a long Kelton handle with an added side handle, though an armbrace handle is nice too.

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2010, 8:41 PM
For smaller HF's I use Ellsworth tools also. Excellent tools.

Tony Greenway
04-01-2010, 8:59 PM
I have both Sorby swan neck tools and John Jordan tools. I definitely recommend Jordans, hands down.

Jack Mincey
04-01-2010, 9:02 PM
I like and use John Jordan's 3/4" # 1 swan neck hollowing tool for most of my HF's. I made my own straight tool that uses the same cutter. I use John's arm brace handle for the swan neck tool.
Jack

Thomas Canfield
04-01-2010, 9:29 PM
I have the Don Pencil Scorpion and Stinger combination. I bought a set of blems at the SWAT show 3 years ago and find the arm brace and tools serve most needs. I can work about 11" deep and inside down to 1" hole. I have some homemade smaller bent tools that were made by local club member for smaller items and working in small neck. Recently I tried a carbide cutter disc on the Stinger holder and had good success.

charlie knighton
04-01-2010, 10:14 PM
you may be within driving distance to Hartford, AAW symposium this summer, if you just want to go to the vendor area that is free to public, you would have a great opportunity to see and in some cases try out all kinds of hollowing tools, the rest of the symposium will be great also if you would like to attend, there is a fee for the rotations, the instant gallery is free also

Ryan Baker
04-01-2010, 11:03 PM
The Jordan tools are very nice ... probably my favorites. The design is very similar to a lot of others, but there is something about those (the shape of the curve i think) that just seems better. You can make your own version very inexpensively with some mild steel bar from the hardware and some cutter bits from harbor freight.

I also have the Don Pencil Scorpion/Stinger combination (based on the Dennis Stewart tools), and they are very versatile tools at a good price.

The Ellsworth style tools are effective and inexpensive to make. They require a little more practice (skill) to use, and produce more torque on the tool. They are not as well suited to work that is wide at the top with a narrow opening. (David can pull it off, but most of us aren't David.) A full swan-neck tool will do better there.

There are SO many different hollowing tool configurations you can choose from or build, and they all have different places where they are better or worse. Scraping tools are the least expensive and easiest to fabricate yourself. There are also various hook/ring tools, Hunter-type tools, etc. to experiment with. Sizes vary a lot too depending on the work. You generally want the largest diameter tool shaft that will fit through the opening and still give you enough room to work. That keeps the chatter down. It also means that if you like to do challenging pieces with small openings and large overhangs, you will need a variety of shaft sizes of the same tools. It's a whole new slippery slope.

Start out with a straight tool and some kind of angled tool or swan-neck, then work your way up from there.

John Keeton
04-02-2010, 7:12 AM
Fred, others have far more experience in this, or for that matter, turning generally! I have the tool and cutters made by Jeff Nicol and it has worked well for me and not expensive. It is not a "swan neck" and if one were to do larger work, it may not do as well. The few pieces I have done are in the size range of what you mentioned and it does fine.

Fred Perreault
04-02-2010, 7:26 AM
It sounds like the Vortex has opened a new, expen$ive portal.

Fred Perreault
04-02-2010, 7:27 AM
It sounds like the Vortex has opened a new, expen$ive portal.

Lance kanaby
04-02-2010, 8:47 AM
I have the Woodcut Proforme Hollowing tools, the Keltoon Hollowers, the Ellsworrth Hollowing Tools and the Andre Martel Hook Tool. Each has it uses depending on wha you want to do. I also have the Kelton Hollowing Rig with the Laser Setup. I really enjoy doing hollow form by hand, but the Kelton rig sure takes all of the guess work out of going through the walls. As a started set I would suggest the Kelton Hollowers in the 5/8" size withe larger handle.

Mark Hubl
04-02-2010, 1:19 PM
I started with the Sorby Hollow Vessel Set (ok), got a Sorby Midi Multi tip (good), picked up a cheapo set from Grizzly (needed work, now good) and just for good measure a Sorby Mini Hollowing set, (aka ornament set, good). These work well for small stuff. The grizzly set is like $20, but it will need new cutters day one. Just pick up a round piece of HSS sharpen and go. I use the Grizzly set the most of the bunch on small stuff. I have also made several tools for specialty tasks. (carbide cutter, long drill, misc scrapers)

Now that I am trying some medium size stuff I have picked up a Don Pencil System. Got the Scorpion/Stinger combo. I like it, it will quickly be my go to system for now. Looked at most of the stuff out there, a lot of it is very similar in design and how it works. Ruled out some of the stuff for now just on price, nice but pricey. You can get a couple of unhandled Ellsworth tools pretty reasonable and I also really like the John Jordan stuff. It is definetly another road to travel.

Lessons learned, would have skipped the Sorby Vessel set and multi tip. I would still get the grizzly set even though it needs work. I learned a lot about the cutters, metal and sharpening because of that set. It is not a great set, but for some reason I like it. Would have got the DP Stinger set way sooner and probably got the Scorpion as well. Lot of bang for the buck.

End of ramble.

George Guadiane
04-02-2010, 6:44 PM
Rolly Munro has developed hooded cutter hollowing tools that have adjustable links which allow the user to adjust the shape and reach of the tool for cutting in hard to reach places, including the ability to cut UP if you have an opening below the highest point on the form.
I like that fact, and that the depth of cut can be adjusted from angel hair shavings to substantial cuts for roughing out. It is supposed to be primarily for end grain turning, but I have used it for side grain as well and it works great for me.
The way the cutter addresses the wood you get a shearing cut rather than a scraping cut like most of the other tools mentioned... Smoother finish inside.

It has a learning curve, but it has been well worth my effort.

Cathy Schaewe
04-02-2010, 6:50 PM
It may not be what you're looking for, but Sears (!) has a set of three Sorby mini hollowing tools for $69.99.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914875000P?mv=rr

I think it's the same set that woodcraft sells for 119.95.
For starting out on smaller hollow forms, it certainly seems like a relatively inexpensive alternative.