PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Support for 3/4" 4x6 Melamine Table

Mike Shields
04-01-2010, 5:11 PM
I'd like to throw together a 4x6 melamine table for very light duty use, like 40 lbs.

Can any provide an idea of what the minimum amount of support would be needed to keep this 3/4" flat?

I mean can 4 legs at the corners be enough, or are cross members needed.

TIA.

Lex Boegen
04-01-2010, 8:11 PM
Melamine is the surface material, but the core material can be something else--particle board, MDF, or plywood. Melamine doesn't add any real strength to the core material, so you would just use the maximum span length based on the core material. If you're buying your melamine at Home Depot, then it will be a particle board core. I would use a solid wood edging on the table (to protect the edges as well as adding a little strength). I strongly recommend building a frame to support the table top and not rely solely on the legs for support. I don't know what your skill level is, or the tools you have at your disposal. You could make it as simple as screwing 1 x 4 lumber to the legs, forming an apron, or you could do it in a more traditional manner such as using mortise and tenon joints to join the apron to the legs. The particle board melamine will eventually sag under its own weight if you don't support it, let alone any load you put on the table.