PDA

View Full Version : Pocket hole systems

Jim Fancher
11-10-2004, 4:41 PM
I'll be getting a kit very soon and was hoping to get some feedback. I've heard a good bit about the Kreg kit, but what about the CMT kit? Has anyone used it?

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/html/images/pocketprostarter.jpg

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2004, 5:11 PM
I saw it at the show last year but decided I would go with the proven pro and bought the Kreg Pro Pack, besides at the show they threw in the angled clamp for free. Besides I coul dnever get the dude working the booth to come over and give me a price of the CMT. The quality seemed good though, if that is any input.

Keith Christopher
11-10-2004, 5:17 PM
I have the Kreg and well. . . it works and does it wonderfully. I'm sure they all do but I can only tell you I'm making pockets quickly and easily with mine.

Keith

Jim Fancher
11-10-2004, 5:18 PM
The quality seemed good though, if that is any input.That's better than nothing. :)

I was pretty sure they wouldn't put their name on junk, but ya never know. I was flipping through the Sommerfeld catalog and saw the kit for $129, I believe.

The neat thing about the CMT unit is you can adjust for different thicknesses, not just the usual 3/4".

Aaron Heck
11-10-2004, 5:25 PM
The Kreg Pro pack for around $125 will also certainly do different thicknesses

Brian Hale
11-10-2004, 5:30 PM
I've got the Kreg Pro kit also and it's Great. Fast, repeatable, accurate. It'll do any size wood from 1/2" on up.

Brian

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 5:40 PM
CMT's might be faster to adjust for different thicknesses and it can do a lot more varying thicknesses...I believe. Be that as it may, I have my Kreg and it is being used every weekend...for the past 3 years. :) I'm sure the CMT one would do just as fine. I seem to recall a review in some rag but I can't remember exactly when or where.

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2004, 5:47 PM
The thing I like about the Pro Pack is that you get 3 different jigs, the mini (single), rocket (2 but real portable) and the full size system (2 holes) but can be mounted to a bench. So you get more then just one jig for what appears to be the same price. As far as thickness, I've used in 1/2" to 2" with no problems, not need for thicker uses so far, but i am sure it works just fine. Again, a proven system for the same price.

thomas prevost
11-10-2004, 7:21 PM
No experince with CMT, but bought an off brand wannabe. Decided after a set of kitchen cabinets, face frames were for "profeeesonals". Worked one weekend with the Kreg. It was the next best thing to buttered bread. I now own one, love it and use it frequently (almost all projects except spinnys). Can't say enough good things about it. OT their table miter is a whole different issue, needs some more refining such as a steel bar and an extention to get out past 24 in.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2004, 7:30 PM
I had a BIL give me a new CMT but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.... :confused:

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 7:43 PM
Well, Ken, that is just great...break it out and use it...you'll love it! :) Get this, for that partition I put up in the garage-ma-hal, most of it was done with pocket holes and screws! No foolin' :D I stink at toe-nailing and I just *knew* I'd need to take a stud or two down while putting plumbing or whatnot in the partition....

Pocket holes are awesome...simply awesome.

Thomas Prondzinski
11-11-2004, 7:06 AM
Jim
I have the CMT version you have pictured. I think I paid 59.00 at the woodshow,you will need to buy the face clamp seperately. I like mine,adjustability is very quick,many different thickness settings.I wish I would have bought one years ago as I use it quite often.

Tom

Jim Becker
11-11-2004, 10:20 AM
I have no doubt that the CMT system is very nice...Mark doesn't tend to do thing half-cocked. But as a long-time Kreg user, I'd probably stick with them because it's the primary business focus they have and they do it well. I have an older version of their system and have also used the current one. The Kreg pro kit is an incredible value, IMHO, because of all the things included in the box that are often extras with other vendors.

Joe Scarfo
11-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Chris... I like the garage ma hall... that's good. I can't toe nail w/ a hammer either, I broke down and picked up a framing nailer cheap. It's used quite a bit by a number of buds.... Where do you get your step bit sharpened? I've got two and one is dull, the other is quickly getting there.

Jim... I've got the kreg kit and almost picked up a CMT kit at the last wood show. The CMT could adjust to a greater range of thicknesses and that attracted me as I'm always building some odd ball for someone.

Good luck w/ your choice.

Joe... whose lucky enough to still be in Tampa and time is growing short.

Mark Singer
11-13-2004, 12:17 PM
have the Kreg and it is terrific..

Ed Falis
11-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Jim,

I have the CMT, and it's great (it does include the face clamp in the $100+ version). I like the adjustability. It's well-made and easy to use.

On the other hand, I haven't used the Kreg so can't compare directly.

- Ed

Charlie Plesums
11-13-2004, 2:40 PM
I have the Kreig, and it works fine. I don't like all the little pieces that require pulling out the plastic case and remembering which combination to use for which thickness material, etc.

When I saw the CMT (long after I bought the Kreig), I wished I had gotten the CMT - simpler, fewer pieces, adjustable, and looked like it would do the same job, with easier setup.

LT Dever
11-13-2004, 2:49 PM
I have the Kreg,I like it a lot. The cmt looks like it's heavy duty.

P.S..........don't drop your drill with the kreg bit in it,will break everytime !!!

John R Lucas
11-13-2004, 7:02 PM
I agree with all. I bought my Kreg jig from Marc Sommerfeld in the mid-80's when he was doing every other wood show, and his brother was doing the alternate ones. Back then, Marc had made the original videos of how-to's. Now 10 years later, Marc has come up with the CMT Pocket Hole jig...and I wanted to try it. It works very well and I like the fact that it is in the CMT router table insert...that is just plain smart, for me, at least. Is it better than the Kreg...I dunno. The original Kreg jig works very well and has never not worked. The new CMT works well and I havent gotten around to using the different board thickness function. I have followed Marc for all these years and I think that whatever he does, he does it well. Certainly he has helped designed some great and popular products for CMT and he has a great commitment to education of woodworkers. On the Kreg side, I am pleased that they are doing well and branching out to many other woodworking areas...and new products. As a woodworker, I appreciate both companies' efforts in the field. They make woodworking better...my two cents, at least.
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/cmt-rt4-1.jpg
This is picture in the "Router Garage Story...
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/cmt-rt-1.htm
John Lucas

mike lucas
11-13-2004, 7:38 PM
I am thinking of getting the Kreg Foreman. I can get it for about $675 including tax. So far that is about $75 less then I have seen it anywhere else. I already a Kreg for tight places.

Jim Fancher
11-15-2004, 10:24 AM
While at Lowes Saturday, I picked up the Kreg kit for $129 and a box of screws for just under $4. I promptly ran home, grabbed a couple of pieces of scrap wood and made my first joint without reading the manual (typical guy). Even Forrest Gumping my way through it, I made a flawless joint in just a couple of minutes. Very nice!

I'm about to build a temporary router table using pocket holes. I have the pieces cut and will be assembling it tonight. I can't wait. :D

Clint deal
11-15-2004, 12:46 PM
I have the Porter cable table top model and don't see how anything could be any faster. Put the board on the tabletop, clap it down with the toggle clamp, hit the on switch, push and handle forward then pull it back and you have a pocket hole. It costs more than the hand held models but if you are going to be making many face frames it is the ticket. The kreg Foreman is probably about the same. The only drawback besides the price is the shape of the holes. It is more of a square hole and harder to plug and make look nice.
Clint