PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Vase

Bill Bulloch
04-01-2010, 1:52 PM
Here is a Segmented Vase I made from the tree I cut down last year. Back then we discussed what kind of tree it was here on the forum: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=122200. The consensus was that it was Box Elder without the flame. We know it was a Maple, but what species? Looking at it in its finished form, I am wondering if Leo might have been right in calling it Silver Maple.

Anyone have any new thoughts on it now??????

steven carter
04-01-2010, 2:15 PM
Bill,

I have decided to call it "Beautiful Maple". Well done. What are the dimensions and the finish?

Steve

Nathan Hawkes
04-01-2010, 2:39 PM
It looks great whatever it is. My guess would actually be red maple though; it doesn't look tight enough to be silver maple, but I don't have enough experience with box elder to comment. Its not very common in turning sizes where I live.

John Keeton
04-01-2010, 3:03 PM
Bill, I have no idea on the species, but the work certainly is well done, and the end result is a beautiful piece! You segmented guys (well, not you, but your work!) sure do some neat stuff!

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2010, 3:13 PM
Very pleasing form to your vase Bill! Great looking wood! Looking forward to finding out dimensions and finish used.

Very nice work!

Bill Bulloch
04-01-2010, 3:19 PM
The dimensions are 5 1/2 by 5 1/2. It started out going to be a ball, but when I found out that I could not make that happen, I saved it by making it a vase.

The finish is Wipe-on High Gloss Poly -- five coats.

Robert McGowen
04-01-2010, 5:25 PM
You are getting better at this Bill. It almost looks like you should turn a matching top for it and throw some cookies or something in it!

I am not sure if you are trying to line up the vertical joints from ring to ring or not, but that is one of the first things that catches your eye when they are not lined up.

Mike Golka
04-01-2010, 6:38 PM
Like the form and wood but as Robert already pointed out the joints should line up on every second ring for the brick lay effect. Keep at it you're doing great.

David E Keller
04-01-2010, 7:04 PM
Pretty wood and nice shape. The wood has a lot of visual interest/movement so I wouldn't have noticed the alignment had it not been pointed out.

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2010, 8:42 PM
That is really a beauty Bill. Well done.

Bill Bulloch
04-01-2010, 9:13 PM
I am not sure if you are trying to line up the vertical joints from ring to ring or not, but that is one of the first things that catches your eye when they are not lined up.

Yea rings one and three slipped on me during glue up. As a rusult I am more watchful now. This one was actually made awhile back. When I went to part it from the glue block, I cut it to close and ended up with a hole in the bottom. I had a couple in this condition, so the other day when I was waiting for glue to dry on some other projects, I took the opportunity to fixed them. That is when I started to wonder what kind of wood this really was.