PDA

View Full Version : Waxed paper usage and sources?

Chris Bruno
04-01-2010, 1:37 PM
For my new workbench, one of the things I wanted to do was hang a roll of waxed paper off the end of the bench that I could quickly pull across to do glue ups, staining, painting, etc.

But I was kind of surprised by the prices when I looked for rolls of wax paper:

http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=20512&SubGroupID=4606&origin=froogle#4606

My question is, have others utilized waxed paper or other paper for this and:
- was it worth the trouble?
- what kind of paper did you use?
- where did you get your paper? roll or flat?

Thanks!
Chris

Zach England
04-01-2010, 2:17 PM
I just use brown butcher paper. Get it at a restaurant supply store.

Kent A Bathurst
04-01-2010, 2:18 PM
I use broken-down cardboard boxes - now 7 years old - for staining, etc., and use 12" grocery store waxed paper for key areas during glue-up.

If your bench was 24" x 7', then the prices from your link equates to over 200 "covers" at about $0.40 each - that seems very inexpensive to me - especially if it can be used more than once - just fold or roll it back up till its no good - the only problem may be that it is a few years' supply, but still.........

I'm saving your link - thanks - may well get some. Hadn't even thought of this - could easily mount it under the bench end overhang.

Dan O'Sullivan
04-01-2010, 2:22 PM
I used wax paper and I still like it but.. now I use a sheet of poly that you put down on your basement crawl space as a moisture barrier. I can roll it up and the glue(hide or pva) just post off. Additionally, stain will not get to the bench. I initially used the thin stuff but changed to the thicker plastic. Its clear and you can use it for lots of things without the fear of tearing it. Just an idea
dan

Prashun Patel
04-01-2010, 2:27 PM
I have a dedicated glue up bench that has an oil/varnish hardboard top.

I also have a few packing tape-coated strips of MDF that I use as standoffs if I want to elevate the piece off the top. Glue drips pop right off.

Although wax paper might actually be inexpensive, personally, I'd spend my $$ elsewhere.

John Gregory
04-01-2010, 2:54 PM
I use cheap vinyl table clothes. From the dollar store or walmart. Easy to wipe off or let stuff dry and then the wood glue flakes off. Heavier than plastic sheets so it stays in place. I do have a roll of craft paper hanging on my bench, and for small things I use 12" wax paper or wider butcher paper.

Lots of choices one can use to make clean up easier.

Rob Young
04-01-2010, 2:55 PM
I use cheap vinyl table clothes. From the dollar store or walmart. Easy to wipe off or let stuff dry and then the wood glue flakes off. Heavier than plastic sheets so it stays in place. I do have a roll of craft paper hanging on my bench, and for small things I use 12" wax paper or wider butcher paper.

I've tried this and it does work. I have also considered using some of the dollar store shower curtain liners for the same purpose.

Rob

Dan Lee
04-01-2010, 3:37 PM
I have a roll of polycoated (1 side) 40lb hanging on the wall. Its only 600 ft it is more expensive than your link but it lasts me maybe 2 years. Well worth it IMO for the convience.

Ted Calver
04-01-2010, 7:09 PM
I use red resin paper from the borg as a bench cover. My son in law uses the waxed paper in his stained glass shop and I'm thinking of adding a roll of that to the mix. For a hobbyist, 1470' would last a looooong time.

Chris Bruno
04-01-2010, 7:15 PM
I'm worried about non-waxed paper because for glue ups and finishing, the paper will probably sit at least overnight while I let the glue setup or the finish dry..

Have those that use non-coated papers found glue and/or finish to soak through after some amount of time?

The non-waxed paper is definitely way cheaper..

The shower curtains and poly tarp is certainly a cost effective idea, but I don't think I have the patience for trying to fold up a dirty tarp and storing it somewhere... I seem to prefer the idea of of having a clean dust free surface to start with and just throw it away afterwards...

-Chris

glenn bradley
04-01-2010, 7:31 PM
My workbench top is BLO'd and waxed; accidental glue drops pop off with my fingernail. If I know I am going to get messy I just tear off a piece big enough to generously cover the area where gravity will place any squeeze-out. No large rolls required; pieces torn off the '99cent store' rolls do fine.

Alex Leslie
04-01-2010, 8:05 PM
I think you can buy the larger rolls of wax paper at a wholesale club, like Sam's or Costco, in the restaurant supply section. One of those big rolls should last a long time! :cool:

Lex Boegen
04-01-2010, 8:17 PM
The last time that I replaced my shower curtain liner, I kept the old one to use as a drop cloth. I also bought a large roll of cheap 4-mill plastic at Home Depot/Lowes. It will probably last me the rest of my life. :D

Tony Joyce
04-01-2010, 8:26 PM
I use these, each has a different purpose for me.

For glueing veneer (http://www.uline.com/BL_1957/Poly-Coated-Kraft)
For flattening veneer and for table protection. (http://www.uline.com/BL_1951/Kraft-Paper-Rolls)

Shipping is not cheap, but I get to piggy back my order on my employers.

Jaze Derr
04-01-2010, 9:43 PM
Dammit, Tony! I actually swatted at my screen. I'm busy fighting gnats from somewhere that are drawn to my lightbulb on my desk.

That bug in your sig was exactly the right size...

Steve Kohn
04-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I use old vinyl shades that I have replaced. Remove the stick from one end and tear off the roller from the other end. They are wide and long and heavy duty. Wind doesn't blow them around.

Ken Shoemaker
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I got a piece of shower pan liner from HD. It's a very thick rubber thhat is put down before mortar and tile. I leave it on my bench until I need the dogs or something. Glue doesn't stick, if I drop chisles it pads them, and my bench is it llike the day I got it.

Greatt stuff.... Ken

Jim Rimmer
04-01-2010, 10:16 PM

I do the same thing. Also cheap shower curtain liners. I save large plastic sheets that are wrapped around things I buy. I have several pieces of old formica (about 30 x 30") that I put under potential glue drips. I swipe wax paper from the kitchen to protect mywood from contact with clamps or sticking to cawls.