PDA

View Full Version : Advice on j/p and bandsaw

Tom Waller
04-01-2010, 1:34 PM
I recently joined Sawmill Creek site and find it to be beneficial and informative.. I’ve been doing my due diligence on several j/p combos eliminating laguna, jet, rojek, etc and narrowed my list down to Hammer A3 31, Minimax FS30 and the Grizzly G0660X. They are all in about the same price range while the Grizzly is a 16” vs. the other two at 12”. I understand Grizzly is discontinuing the G0660X. While I would very much like to have the 16” j/p I know nothing about the quality of the machine and concerned about obtaining parts and knives down the road. Since I am also in the market for a bandsaw (hoping for some multi-machine discount) I’ve also focused in on the Minimax MM16 and the Grizzly G0636XB.
Recommendations and advice are appreciated.
Tom

Tom W Armstrong
04-01-2010, 9:15 PM
Hi Tom,

Welcome to SMC. If you search for Hammer A3-31 you'll find lots of discussions comparing it to other J/Ps like the MM and Grizzly. Several SMC members recently, including me, picked up the A3-31 as it is currently on sale at a good price.

I went with the Hammer because it wasn't that much more than the Grizzly and I'm pretty sure that if I need to sell it in the future, the Hammer will have a bit better resale value, at least IMO.

Good luck with the purchase.

Tom

Tom Waller
04-06-2010, 2:45 PM
Tom, thanks it's a tough call, favorable comments on both Hammer & Minmax. While there are differences between the two machines nothing really to tip the scales significantly.
Tom

Rod Sheridan
04-06-2010, 3:04 PM
Hi Tom, I have an A3-31, can't say enough positive things about it.

I also have a B3 saw/shaper, so I can share extension tables between them, that's one consideration, Felder/Hammer seem to have more goodies.

Another item is service, are either of the machines local to you?

I live in Toronto and Felder have a dealership so that was also a consideration for me.

The above said, either the MiniMax or Hammer would be my choice........Regards, Rod.

Niels J. Larsen
04-06-2010, 3:09 PM
I own the Hammer A3-31 as well as their bandsaw - the N4400.

Since I know nothing about the other brands you're looking at, I'll just point you towards the add-ons that are available for the Hammer.

Their aluminium extension tables will fit on both the A3-31 and the N4400. This way you don't need to buy extension tables for both.

If you consider the N4400 bandsaw - don't waste your money on the miter gauge - it's absolutely useless. You should also note that the miter slot is *not* the standard size, so if you'd like to use one of the very nice Incra miter gauges - you can't - unless you modify it a lot.

Van Huskey
04-06-2010, 3:25 PM
There is someone on here with the Griz 16" combo you may want to search, if I remember correctly they like it. I would not worry about parts or knives, Grizzly is VERY good with parts.

If you choose not to get the Griz I would get the Hammer.

As for bandsaws I would look at Laguna instead, I prefer their Italian made saws to anything else out there with the MM in 3rd place. I would look really hard at the Laguna LT16HD or LT18 you will have one of the best consumer woodworking bandsaws, the other one to consider is Aggazani which is the other "best" I just prefer the Laguna guides. Laguna currently has a free Driftmaster fence with the 16HD and LT18 which is an excellent fence, far better than OEM fences.

I don't think you can expect any multi-machine discount with Grizzly.

Tom W Armstrong
04-06-2010, 4:31 PM
Tom, thanks it's a tough call, favorable comments on both Hammer & Minmax. While there are differences between the two machines nothing really to tip the scales significantly.
Tom

Price (I think the Hammer is still on sale and free shipping), responsiveness, and a universal positive experience from SMC members is what tipped the scale to Hammer for me.