PDA

View Full Version : Gamble House Tour

AJ Quinter
04-01-2010, 1:00 PM
My wife and I are going to be in LA this spring and want to take a tour of the Gamble house. Has anyone been there before? They offer a number of different tours. We are considering doing the Details and Joinery Tour which is led by a woodworker. Has anyone done this tour? I have read quite a bit about the Greene and Greene style and I am concerned that the presentation might be very basic. Maybe I would be better off taking one of the cheaper tours and checking out the furniture on my own.

Does anyone have any opinions?

Are there any other woodworking related places to visit in the LA area. It looks like it isn't too far to Sam Maloof's house. I haven't looked into it yet to see if they give tours there.

Thanks

Bill Wyko
04-01-2010, 1:13 PM
When Eric, my BIL and I went to the Woodworkers in America symposium, there was entire classes devoted to Green & Green. That in itself, made the trip worth while. What ever you do, you will come away with an experience that will make for life long fine memories I'm sure. Congratulations on the opportunity.:)

Michael Flores
04-01-2010, 1:24 PM
AJ, I have personally taken the Gamble house tour and i am still blown away. If you are serious about wood working and want to know the details then i recommend the details and joinery tour. The basic tour is cool but its very fast and you dont get to take it all in. Plus they dont let the docents open any thing so you do miss a lot cause you dont get to wonder around, you have to look at everything from the velvet rope. I do recommend taking the advanced tour with Jim Ipekjian". He is the woodworker responsible for maintaining and replicating missing pieces. When he gives that tour he take drawers out, opens doors, turns things upside down, etc... He is allowed to go through anything and he brings you up close with him. This tour is $75 and last about 3 hours i think, were the basic tour was like 45 minutes and you are not allowed to take pictures. When the tour is over go to the gift shop and buy the $2 walking tour map of the neighbor hood cause there are about 5 other Greene and Greene houses including the home of Charles Greene or henry Greene, i forgot which one.
The Blacker house is 5 min away and thats nice to see but it is a private resident so you can only look from the street.
Check out the Huntington library cause they use to have a fabulous woodworking display including some original Greene and Greene pieces.

Brian Williamson
04-01-2010, 6:02 PM
+1 on the advice from Michael.

I live about an hour away from the Gamble house and have been on the basic tour many, many times. I have yet to try the mroe advanced tour and it sounds like it would be worth it.

There are also a coulple Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the area. La Minitura, a private residence, is literally just around the corner from the Gamble house. The Hollyhock house is within 30 minutes and is open to the public. The Ennis-Brown house is also 30 minutes away and is open to the public for tours on selected days. The Blacker house (another G&G), which was restored about 10 years ago and is a private residence, is also nearby and worth a drive-by. The Huntington is gorgeous and is a must see.

You'll have a good time!

AJ Quinter
04-01-2010, 6:32 PM
Thanks for the information guys! I think I will definitely do the joinery tour as opposed to the basic tour. I have seen a few pieces in museums, but I am really excited to see the full environment.