PDA

View Full Version : Link belts - is orientation important?

Keith Albertson
04-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I know I'm a knucklehead.......but is the direction a twist-link belt running important? I just disassembled my contractor saw to clean it. Took the motor off, and put the twist-link belt aside. After the saw was cleaned and lubed, I went to put the link belt back on, and couldn't remember how it was oriented. The directions from the manufacturer are long gone, and an internet search wasn't helpful.

Does it matter which way the belt goes on the pulley? I'm thinking not, because then the belt couldn't be used for a motor that runs forward and reverse. But I thought I'd ask The Creek before I just turned the saw on to see what happens.....

Thanks

Fred Belknap
04-01-2010, 12:22 PM
The one I have has little arrows on it, might check.

Wayne A Hall
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
We use hundreds of these twist lock "belts" at work and yes there is a certain way to install it. Look at the Shopfox W1812 manual and it will show you direction. Here's the link: http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g0680_m.pdf Page 14, item number 7 to be exact.

Lee Schierer
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Yes they must be run in a cretain direction otherwise they make a lot of noise DAMHIKT. The tabs on the inside of the belt should travel =>////// not =>\\\\\\

Todd Hyman
04-01-2010, 3:05 PM
The one I have has little arrows on it, might check.

I just check annd mine have arrows on them too.

Keith Albertson
04-01-2010, 7:30 PM
Thanks for the great responses, everybody. I don't have any arrows on my belt. However, thanks to Wayne, and his link to the shop fox, I was able to confirm the way that my belt has to be mounted. The inside tangs need to "follow" instead of "lead." That is how I put it on intuitively. Glad to see I guessed correctly. Thanks again!!!

Eddie Darby
04-02-2010, 3:34 PM
You're not the only one confused!:confused:
So is apparently Lee Valley.:eek:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30051&cat=1,240,41067

Look at the picture and you will see that the belts are on the Drill Press in both directions, yet a Drill Press only runs in one direction.:rolleyes:

Here is the directions from the Lee Valley site.

http://www.leevalley.com/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=44432

Cheers

Kent A Bathurst
04-02-2010, 5:16 PM
Modest hijack - my stuff runs fine - AFAIK - on OEM belts. Not enough ware + tear to need replacement. Is there an advantage to link belts that would push me to replace them now? Source?

Lee Schierer
04-02-2010, 6:26 PM
Modest hijack - my stuff runs fine - AFAIK - on OEM belts. Not enough ware + tear to need replacement. Is there an advantage to link belts that would push me to replace them now? Source?

On a table saw link belts will eliminate a lot of vibration due to the belt taking a set while it sits idle. Link belts can't be used on dual or triple belt drives though.

Keith Albertson
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Kent,

When I got the link belt, it made a good sized difference in how my contractor's saw ran. But the belt cost about 30 bucks. If I did it all over again, I'd get one of the refurbishing kits that comes with a link belt and machined pulleys. They cost about $50.

Keith

glenn bradley
04-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Link belts can't be used on dual or triple belt drives though.

A common misunderstanding.

Mike Cruz
04-03-2010, 9:07 AM
I was going to ask about that... I have them on my Uni TS (Triple belt system) and it works great.

Lee, what makes you think they can't be used for muliple belt systems? Not an accusation, just wondering if there is some reason I shouldn't be using them on my TS.

Kent A Bathurst
04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
source recommendation?

Logan William
04-03-2010, 2:00 PM
I've never heard of not being able to use TwistLock's on multi belt applications, in fact thats where they often work the best. Check out www.fennerdrives.com they hold several of the patents on the belts and are commonly referred to as one of the primary industrial vendors of the belts, we use them for work quite frequently.

Tri Hoang
04-03-2010, 2:04 PM
I've used two on the G0586 jointer in my previous life. If you insteall them in the wrong direction, first thing you probably notice is higher noise level.

Mike Cruz
04-03-2010, 2:56 PM
I got mine off Ebay and posted the guy's info for anyone who was interested. I can't seem to find that info for the life of me. If you do some research through the archives, maybe you can find it. He had fast shipping and the best price I could find... I'll try to look some more.

David DeCristoforo
04-03-2010, 3:16 PM
"...Look at the picture and you will see that the belts are on the Drill Press in both directions..."

That's because the photo was probably taken by some ad agency guy who knows his photography but doesn't know spit about whatever is being photographed!

Tony Shea
04-03-2010, 5:28 PM
"...Look at the picture and you will see that the belts are on the Drill Press in both directions..."

That's because the photo was probably taken by some ad agency guy who knows his photography but doesn't know spit about whatever is being photographed!

Even if it was the photographer's fault, I must admit that Eddie is paying some serious attention! That's being extremely observant to pick that one up. I never would've noticed it and really can barely see the direction of the links in the further away belt. Damn good pickup Eddie!

Gary Pennington
04-05-2010, 7:07 AM
Found this store last night:

http://stores.ebay.com/SULPHUR-GROVE-TOOL?_rdc=1

I have no connection to this company. $6.30/foot for 1/2 inch belt. I ordered 54" --net $31.90 delivered by Priority Mail.

Gary

John Coloccia
04-05-2010, 7:11 AM
Flipped one of my belts around on my drill press yesterday. Much quieter and smoother now. I guess I shouldn't have tossed the instruction, eh? LOL. Thanks :D