PDA

View Full Version : Transporting turning tools

Andy Pogue
04-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Question: How do you transport your tools for a class, demo ect? Do you use a rollor something else?
Thanks in advance.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Andy - I use an el-cheapo plastic tool box that is lined with a bunch of soft foam. Works well for most of my tools and for the longer ones I use a protective plastic sleeve that some of the gouges came in when bought. I just make sure that the tip is protected during transport by placing them in a box or something to keep them from rolling around during travel.

Larry Komroff
04-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I use a tool roll purchased at woodcraft when it was on sale for $10

Paul Atkins
04-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Not sure you can have them in your carry-on bag on the airplane.

Jim Underwood
04-01-2010, 3:22 PM
I use that stiff plastic foam you find in packaging for some items. Just cut a chunk big enough to slip over your tool tip and jam it in. Then they all go in a 5 gallon sheetrock bucket....

Jeff Morneault
04-01-2010, 3:41 PM
Plastic tote for some things and a five gal. bucket with foam pipe insulation long enough so your tools don't bottom out. Works great!http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ibkuibzt7InpFux50bZm8g?feat=directlink

Don Geiger
04-01-2010, 4:48 PM
I've been to about 17 classes and have demonstrated at many clubs and symposiums. I found that transporting my tools in a rigid plastic rectangular rifle case works well. Mine has the egg crate foam in the top and bottom which keeps the tools from sliding around. You can ship it via UPS or Fed Ex or you can check it as baggage on airlines. If you check it as baggage, you must allow access to the contents so TSA can inspect it (an they will!). There are two latches on my case, which I keep latched, but un-locked and there is a hasp that I put a TSA approved pad lock on. The TSA padlock is available at Harbor Freight and any luggage supplier. It has a combination tumbler which you can set and it has a key hole that TSA uses to unlock it. I travel constantly so I use these on my luggage too.

Another tip: I printed a couple of labels and applied them to the outside of my case that reads: "NO WEAPONS ENCLOSED". I don't know if it does any good, but I haven't lost anything.

Don Geiger

Callan Campbell
04-01-2010, 4:54 PM
I bought the green roll at my local store. Holds all my standard tools[I don't own any with super long handles] Keeps them tidy, together, and the sharp edges away from each other so nothing dulls from rattling around.

Ryan Baker
04-01-2010, 11:17 PM
If you have hollow handles (like the Trent Bosch handles for example), you can turn the tool around and stick it inside the handle. That is nice for transporting it (as long as you don't fill the handle with shot or BBs for ballast like mine). Of course, if you are flying you are checking them through so you will need a good case.

John King
04-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Go with the rifle case. It's relatively inexpensive. It comes with egg crate padding top and bottom. It's suitable for air travel or just throwing in the back of the truck. Sharp tools are protected. And your are protected from the sharp tools. In my opinion, if you need more tools than you can fit in the rifle case, you are probably hauling around too many tools.

Greg Just
04-03-2010, 11:35 AM
another one that uses the Woodcraft Tool Roll.

Jim Underwood
04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I noticed Stuart Batty was using a golf club case when I picked him up at the Atlanta airport a couple years ago....

Just another idea...

Mike Peace
04-03-2010, 1:15 PM
I use the WC canvas roll, also. I protect the tips with various size pieces of clear hose that you can buy by the foot at Lowes. If you don't protect the tips you will cut thru the canvas pretty soon.

Jeff Nicol
04-03-2010, 6:25 PM
Gee guys you would think that with all the woodturning skill out there, maybe some flat work could be done to put the tools in? I have a couple of different boxes one for the tools and one for the chucks and other articles needed for a demo. A guy could glue up a nice staved tool holder also, that would be my next one.

Just fuel for the woodworking fire!

Jeff

Bob Borzelleri
04-04-2010, 8:41 AM
Woodcraft roll here, too. I flew to and from Las Vegas for a 3 day Jimmy Clewes class in January. The roll was in my checked luggage. It got opened going to Vegas but not on the return flight. They probably figured I was a big winner and not inclined to use my spindle gouge to wreak havoc in the luggage hold.

John King
04-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Golf club travel case and flat work wood case are good ideas. But don't forget that you have to be able to pick it up. One could stuff a golf club travel case so full of tools that it's near impossible to carry. Might even be subject to excess weight fees when traveling by air.

The Woodcraft roll is a good idea as long as the sharp edges of tools can be protected and the roll can travel in another container. I may give the roll a try.

Don Geiger
04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I measured my rifle case. It is: 36" X 12" X 4".

For a bowl class or demo I usually pack:
2- 5/8" diameter bowl gouges (one 60 degrees and another steeper grind and a secondary relief bevel)
1- 1/2 diameter bowl gouge
1- 3/8" diameter detail spindle gouge modified with a convex poilished bevel
1- Geiger's Wheel Truing and Dressing Solution
1- Geiger's Vertical Solution sharpening system
1- Geiger's 5/16" magnetic shim for sharpening a steep bevel
1- magnetic V-notch shim for a maintaining a secondayry relief bevel
1- Geiger's Recentering Solution

These items all fit nicely into the gun case and it's not unreasonably heavy. It is well under the weight restrictions for checked baggage.

I take my face shield and dust respirator in my suit case.

Don Geiger