View Full Version : Lee Valley's latest

Cliff Polubinsky
04-01-2010, 7:52 AM
Interesting update of a time honored technique

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?p=65357&c=1

Cliff

Brian Kincaid
04-01-2010, 8:09 AM
Last measurement seems a little off :rolleyes: Not going to be much of an improvement over the old method in that respect.

In other news rereads of old articles still produce desired effect.

-Brian

Greg Sznajdruk
04-01-2010, 8:17 AM
You do know that today is April First.

Greg

Maurice Ungaro
04-01-2010, 8:32 AM
Looks like Rob & Co. reeled in another fish!

Cliff Polubinsky
04-01-2010, 8:41 AM
You do know that today is April First.

Greg

Yup. That's why I was on the Lee Vallay site first thing in the morning.

Cliff

Maurice Ungaro
04-01-2010, 8:48 AM
I particularly like that it comes in metric, imperial, AND cubit!

Gene Howe
04-01-2010, 9:29 AM
I particularly like that it comes in metric, imperial, AND cubit!

That's great!
No more hand calculating cubits.

Randal Stevenson
04-01-2010, 9:52 AM
If they EVER had a tool that they actually sold the April 1, variety, this one seems the easiest to actually produce, and I could have some incredible fun with.:D

Rob Young
04-01-2010, 9:58 AM
If they EVER had a tool that they actually sold the April 1, variety, this one seems the easiest to actually produce, and I could have some incredible fun with.:D

Did you read everything? Yes, this one is for sale.

Lee Schierer
04-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Actually you can buy it if you click page two they explain that this one is actually available.

Roy Wall
04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I wanted to buy that "8-10 Rod Marking Gauge" they had a few years back..........remember that one:)!!

Roger Jensen
04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
They have instructions how to search for the previous April Fools products.

The Variable Gang Saw is beautiful. I can't tell how much was photo-shopped vs. actually assembled, but it sure looks cool.

Roger

Jeff Monson
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking about the metric one, I've been considering switching to metric and this tool just made up my mind.

Thanks Lee Valley

Garth Keel
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
left handed version for those who are not in their right mind?:D

Brian Kent
04-01-2010, 11:34 AM
What really irks me is that they lead you into a great product like this and don't give a price for a set of all three. It's the principal of the thing. Do they expect me to add THREE NUMBERS!!!!! :eek:

Never mind. I got it. $5.95 + $5.95 + $5.95 = $$$15.95.95.95 (plus tax and shipping) for three.

ps. Roger, they actually made the variable pitched gang saw.

Rob Lee
04-01-2010, 11:56 AM
They have instructions how to search for the previous April Fools products.

The Variable Gang Saw is beautiful. I can't tell how much was photo-shopped vs. actually assembled, but it sure looks cool.

Roger

Roger -

We don't allow photoshop to be used for these....

Our rules are:

1) The tool has to be somewhat credible
2) we have to make the tool
3) it has to do what we say it does

The variable gang saw exists, and works.... in fact - the adjustment mechanism was even patentable... it was a fabulous piece of design.

One of my favorite shots is of the Pouchless Tool Belt... add up the value of the antique and rare planes hanging off of it!! All held by rare earth magnets... the belt will really hold more than 500 lbs!

It's pretty easy to do something really silly - like put a laser on a chisel - but it's a real challenge to stretch credibility credibly!

Cheers -

Rob

Brian Tymchak
04-01-2010, 1:19 PM
Being a relative new-comer to woodworking, I didn't know Lee-Valley did the April 1 products. What a great idea and fun thing it must be to work on those April Fools tools..

Sure made for a light-hearted and enjoyable lunch!

Thanks!
Brian

Bill Wyko
04-01-2010, 1:29 PM
ROTFLMAO. I want one just for the next time someone says "Can I borrow your tape measure?" Then I'll go and use it just to mess with them. "You mean you don't see the numbers on it? What the hell's the matter with you?" :eek::D

Vince Shriver
04-01-2010, 1:44 PM
This is a solution to a problem that has yet to be found.

Chris Kennedy
04-01-2010, 2:42 PM
I think I may have to get a couple for my office. I can explain to my students that you use them to measure distances in imaginary numbers.

Cheers,

Chris

Todd Hyman
04-01-2010, 3:02 PM
Roger -

We don't allow photoshop to be used for these....

Our rules are:

1) The tool has to be somewhat credible
2) we have to make the tool
3) it has to do what we say it does

The variable gang saw exists, and works.... in fact - the adjustment mechanism was even patentable... it was a fabulous piece of design.

One of my favorite shots is of the Pouchless Tool Belt... add up the value of the antique and rare planes hanging off of it!! All held by rare earth magnets... the belt will really hold more than 500 lbs!

It's pretty easy to do something really silly - like put a laser on a chisel - but it's a real challenge to stretch credibility credibly!

Cheers -

Rob

Nice one Rob!

Horton Brasses
04-01-2010, 3:31 PM
A measuring stick for kids is actually a brilliant idea. My folks have been carting around a piece of door jamb with my height from 3-18 on it through several houses. It never fits anywhere but cannot be thrown away.

The honing guide prices...life, the universe...brilliantly subtle.

Bill Wyko
04-01-2010, 4:14 PM
What's funny is that I've handled so much sheet material that I could just about eyeball the center dead on. I'll pull the tape out and mark the center then tell them to check it with their tape. That'll really twist their panties. :D

Zach England
04-01-2010, 4:19 PM
My father is kind of the measure once, cut twice school, so I might have to give him one of those tapes for fathers' day. He could never be wrong.

Kirk Poore
04-01-2010, 4:37 PM
Something tells me the fish-measuring version is made out of elastic.

Kirk

Chuck Saunders
04-01-2010, 4:58 PM
I only wish it took pencil marks instead of felt tip pen. I will probably order a couple anyway

Gary Herrmann
04-01-2010, 6:58 PM
I was most surprised by the fact that you could actually buy this one.

Roger Benton
04-01-2010, 7:39 PM
Absolutely genius!

Peter Quinn
04-01-2010, 8:29 PM
Problem is I already have one of those! Honest. I have one of those fastcap rulers and it has numbers on one third, and a writable story pole surface on the other. I have never used it as such, metric or otherwise. I love the LV April 1 products. This one is a joke, but not a hoax!

Larry Fox
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I love the LV April Fools items and look forward to them every year. They are all good, this one included, but the Dodeca-Gauge is the jewel in the crown. I still laugh every time I see it. Nicely done Rob and co.

Dave Anderson NH
04-02-2010, 1:30 PM
Larry, I was fortunate enough to be loaned the dodeca-gage to exhibit at our NH guilds free joinery symposium a few years ago. When it arrived at my house via UPS I was amazed when I unpacked it. That sucker must have weighed 15-20 pounds andit did indeed works. Now by work, I mean it required 2 hands to move about and the wood had better be well secured. It was a hoot to have for a few days. The photos on the LV website didn't do it justice or really give you a good idea of itws scale.

Eddie Darby
04-02-2010, 3:39 PM
This should settle a lot of arguments between men and women about just how long 6 inches really is.:eek::rolleyes:;)

Van Huskey
04-02-2010, 5:16 PM
Nice work again LV. Plus this is the first one of the AFD tools cheap enough to buy for fun.

Kevin Gregoire
04-02-2010, 10:41 PM
thats a really neat idea.