PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox and Circularsaw Recommendation

Harish C. Mathur
11-10-2004, 2:51 PM
Hopefully, this is an appropriate place to post this....

Well, my kids are getting close to two years old and among other things, love to play in the dirt! I wanted to build them a sandbox and was hoping folks could post pictures or a link to one they have built or come across. I had a few features I wanted to have:

1) It should be shaded (we live in AZ).

2) I’d like to have it covered up when not in use (i.e., don't want it to become a kitty litter box). Although not required, it would be cool if the shade could be moved up and down to become the cover.

3) It needs to be large enough for 3 kids. I imagine I can scale any design up. But I need to be careful if the shade moves to become the cover that it is not heavy and dangerous.

Also, I need to buy a circular saw. I had one of the new Porter cable left-handed saws with an EMF brake (I gave it away - long ugly story, but it went to a really noble cause). I really liked it, but was thinking about getting a Festool w/guide. Is the Festool saw OK for general carpentry work like this or would this be "tool abuse"? I was planning to eventually build a slide/swing set as well.

Thanks! Harish

Mark Lansink
11-10-2004, 3:57 PM
With regards to your circular saw question, I use my Miter Saw wherever possible and my circular saw is a last resort for ALL work.

I built a MUCH simpler sandbox than you are talking about and used a miter saw for all of it.

Just my $.02 worth

Ed Falis
11-10-2004, 4:12 PM
I don't think using the Festool for that application would be abuse. Check, however, the specs for the depth of the saw if you're planning on cutting big timbers. I'm pretty sure the ATF-55 has a bit less depth of cut than the typical CS. Then there's the ATF 65 ...

The miter saw will do the job, too. I just have had a lot of trouble getting decent dust collection together for ours.

- Ed

Michael Stafford
11-10-2004, 5:03 PM
Harish, the New Yankee Workshop book dealing with children's projects has a sandbox exactly as you described. You should be able to find it in the library along with Norm Abrams' other titles.

Allen Grimes
11-10-2004, 5:48 PM
Harish, your idea sounds pretty simple. What I like to do is think of what I want to make then draw up a basic idea, quality of the drawing not important, then keep on drawing it over and over again, keeping in mind how it will be put together, until I find the idea that I like best. After I find the best idea I then design it in a more profesional format. I like to do this because no matter how similar it is to another persons idea it is my own and I can take full bragging rights for the design.

I hope this helps, though if you want I could draw up some quick ideas to give you a head start, but I really recomend you draw your own ideas as it feels so much better when the job is done.

Wes Bischel
11-10-2004, 9:09 PM
Harish,

I did a sandbox this spring - check out "Sandbox - Finally!!" (search under sandbox) I do not have the cover you talked about, but did make a hard cover that folds out into benches.

Food for thought.

Wes

Frank Pellow
11-10-2004, 9:43 PM
Using the Festool ATF 55 E would not be circular saw abuse.

I have used my saw for lots and lots of construction projects. One of them was a children's slide and, if you look closely at the first picture in the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11434, you can see me using the saw to cut a 4 x 4 for the slide. It took two passes but that was easy and the results were perfect.

I do advise you to purchase a different blade for construction work. I use the Festool "universal" saw blade with 28 teeth for most construction work and the "panther" saw blade with 14 teeth for ripping. These extra blades cost me about $25 each and they are great blades. A real benefit of the Festool saw, is that you get really good blades for less money than I have seen good blades for any other saws.

David LaRue
11-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Harish,

I constructed a sand box for my kids and heck I think we have had the whole neighborhood in it at one time! The demisnsions are approximately 8' x 8', plus a toy box. I formed a box by lag bolting 2x12's on top of each other to four PT 4X4 corner posts. Each post is about 4' long, with a hole dug at each corner. The bottom is marine grade plywood with hole drilled in it for drainage. I dug a hole into the ground so that approx 8" of the sand box is above the ground. We filled the sand box aboud 3/4 full with white beach sand $$$ (the stuff from Toys R US). Mason sand is too course, and most sand around here has a lot of iron in it, well let's just say that SWMBO doesn't like dirty rusty sand in the house :eek: For the top we ordered the top from ChildLife http://www.childlife.com/add/sandboxes.html It snaps to the side of the sandbox.

Joe Scarfo
11-11-2004, 9:41 AM
Here's what I put up for my kids. I also built a stand a lone version for friends as well.

The benefit is the kids are not actually in the sand, but playing in it. It was the greatest hit with everyone as they kids hardly tracked in sand at all. Also, I built it a little tall so the kids could grow into it. When they were smaller, we used a few old milk crates for the kids to stand on.

Once we had 3 kids on the inner circle and 5 on the outside all playing nice. It was great to watch and provided enjoyment for everyone.

Good luck w/ your choice....

Tks
Joe in Tampa....

Harish C. Mathur
11-15-2004, 2:30 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and replies! Per Allen's suggestions, I'll play around with a few designs.

In regards to the circularsaw, I guess I could cut most of the wood on my PM66 or miterbox... but it just seemed handier to have something portable like a circular saw. Perhaps I was just looking for the right excuse to get the Festool saw :) . I still need a solution for cutting down plywood so I will see if my Finance Minister is OK with it!

Wes, Frank and Joe, you have some really cute kids on your hands!!

If it not too embarassing, I'll post what I finally end up building.

Thanks again!

Frank Pellow
11-15-2004, 2:57 PM
Here's what I put up for my kids. I also built a stand a lone version for friends as well.
Joe, that a GREAT saandbox! There is good chance that I will copy your design.