PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle fever

Karl Card
04-01-2010, 3:48 AM
A couple of weeks ago I bought a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre and a 1985 Honda 700 nighthawk. Well I got the sabre home and really enjoy riding it and looking for spare parts and trying to find a sport fairing that came one some of them from hondaline.

Well I got to showing the pics of the nighthawk to a friend of mine and gee we ended up in a trade that seemed pretty good to me. I ended up with a Yamaha Venture 1200. The Yamaha seems very comfortable and as another rider put it "the yamaha seems like your riding in it, where a goldwing your riding on it", and that is about the take away that i get.

I gotta do some some regular maintenance and put a set of tires on it then I am going to take it to east tennessee and do some mountain picture taking... I told the wife that I really need to find one of those motorcycle trailers so if I find some wood I can bring it back home with me...

Mitchell Andrus
04-01-2010, 8:52 AM
I'm not a big fan of motorcycles but I understand completely. While I was growing up my dad had an old Harley and then a '70s BMW 900 fully loaded with all the fiberglass bodywork you can imagine - right down to the AM/FM 8 track and CB radio. It rode like a car and I swallowed a few bugs. Many times he'd be getting ready for a poker run or fall foliage tour and Malcolm Forbes and Liz would be in the driveway impatiently beeping the horn.

Looks like you got the bug bad. Good luck and ride safe.

Horton Brasses
04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
The Malcolm Forbes and Liz (Taylor)? Wow.

Paul Ryan
04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Karl,

I may have a 05 Harley Road King Classic for sale. 14k miles purchased new by myself. I cant decide if I keep it or not. With my kids and the amount of time I spend driving with my car I really dont feel like riding much. Last year I only put 1k miles on. I am leaning toward keeping it one more year and seeing how much riding I do this year. If it is low again I will sell for sure next year. Unless someone offers me a cant pass up trade or price.

Mitchell Andrus
04-01-2010, 11:22 AM
The Malcolm Forbes and Liz (Taylor)? Wow.

Yea. He had a house about 20 miles from my home town and belonged to my dad's motorcycle club. Tobacco heiress Doris Duke ( www.dukefarms.org ) donated a clubhouse to the club, an old carriage house on her estate just south of Somerville, NJ. I think they still own it. She caused a slight accident with one of the members and to soothe the ruffled feathers she got involved in the club and found motorcyclists weren't all 'bad'. She introduced Malcolm to the group about a year later.

I was 9,10 then and didn't know or care much. I wish I had snapped a few pictures of the multi-millionare with his knees sticking through holes in his jeans with the movie star on his bike - in front of my dad's 3 bedroom, 1 bath tract home.

Life's funny sometimes.

Karl Card
04-01-2010, 1:27 PM
Karl,

I may have a 05 Harley Road King Classic for sale. 14k miles purchased new by myself. I cant decide if I keep it or not. With my kids and the amount of time I spend driving with my car I really dont feel like riding much. Last year I only put 1k miles on. I am leaning toward keeping it one more year and seeing how much riding I do this year. If it is low again I will sell for sure next year. Unless someone offers me a cant pass up trade or price.

I have to admit that if i had to pay more for these bikes i would not have them.. but i have 1900 dollars in both of them so I figured why not.. I use the v65 sabre for around town and the venture for open road... but i tell ya the venture handles so well I wouldnt have a problem riding it in town..

Tim Morton
04-01-2010, 6:56 PM
it just seems to me that the world is getting too stupid to cohabitate with bikers...just today i was going thru a busy congested intersection in a small Vermont town and i almost got killed by 2 new yorkers from opposite directions....BOTH on cell phones...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

keep your eyes open....and have fun!!!!

Karl Card
04-01-2010, 8:37 PM
back in the 80's i lived in clearwater florida. Well I was in my early twenties at the time and had a 78 coupe deville and a motorcycle.. Being the st pete and clearwater area was mostly retirement community they definitely did not like the thought of a young person in a cadillac and most older people in that area would definitely aim for a motorcyclist. Didnt matter if it was harley, honda, suzuki etc... it was a target for them...
But I treat every car as if it were going to pull out in front of me and act as if every car beside me is going to side swipe me.... then when I get on that long stretch of highway and noone is near I lettr rip...