PDA

View Full Version : Laminated LVL HF

Gary Conklin
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
I turned this as part of a turning challenge on another forum. The challenge: Turn 1 BF. This HF was turned from 1BF of LVL it was cut into four squares, then glued back together by 2's, each of the 2's were shaped and hollowed, then glued together. Some final refining to the outside shape and a small maple collar added. C&C's encouraged.

The result: 8"x4" finished with AO and Ren wax.

http://sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=258&pictureid=3240

alex carey
03-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Love this piece, very cool.

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2010, 12:25 AM
I like it. That is just to cool.

Frank Van Atta
04-01-2010, 1:54 AM
Looks good. I like this much better than the Birch plywood pieces - this has more color.

Richard Madison
04-01-2010, 1:55 AM
Nice piece Gary. Since you asked, suggest locating the largest diameter about 1/3 of the total height from the top rather than in the center. Try a smaller diameter bottom (always looks bigger in the picture than on the lathe), and round the side curvature into the bottom to give the piece a bit of "lift" off the surface. Just some thoughts. A cool piece as is.

John Keeton
04-01-2010, 6:44 AM
Nice work, Gary!! Sure is easier doing them in halves and gluing together, isn't it!?!?:D The little clamshell pieces I have done go pretty quickly and significantly less stressful.

I like the look of this piece, and the color and finish is very nice. I have yet to do this form so my advise would not be helpful, but most of the ones I see do share a similar form as suggested by Richard.

It may photo a little different with some taller reeds/flowers, etc. The ones shown appear too short.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Gary - cool idea and a really cool vase!

I think Richard covered the form suggestion quite well - so can't add anything there.

Really like the color in this! Nice work!

Baxter Smith
04-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Interesting idea and the colors in the layers are quite pretty!

David E Keller
04-01-2010, 1:28 PM
Cool looking piece... That's stuff is pretty dusty when turning, but it looks like it's worth the hassle.

Bill Neff
04-01-2010, 4:32 PM
Very nice, but what is LVL?

Gary Conklin
04-01-2010, 5:07 PM
Essentially plywood, but different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_veneer_lumber

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

Robert McGowen
04-01-2010, 5:28 PM
Very nice, but what is LVL?

I knew if I waited long enough, I would not have to ask! ;)

Very nice looking piece and certainly unique!

Roland Martin
04-01-2010, 9:17 PM
I guess I would have never even considered turning any LVL, but I'm sure this colorful form certainly has plenty of structural integrity:D. Seriously, this is a great looking HF, nice work.