PDA

View Full Version : LN quality

Alex Silva
03-31-2010, 9:31 PM
I've just received my LN #8, #62 and #60 1/2 and I already want more. To whoever ask 'why pay for brand new planes' I'll answer this :

Buy the LN #8 you'll see by yourself !

OK, I'm definitively taking that slippery road that's for sure !!!

Cheers,

Alex

Jim Barrett
03-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Ahhhh....Christmas came early...or did you just get a good tax refund? ;)

Jim

Jim R Edwards
03-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Congratulations! I have a LN 60 1/2r. Its an outstanding plane. I use a Stanley #8 all the time and its one of my favorite planes. Hopefully I can try out a #8 at an upcoming LN show.

Zach England
03-31-2010, 10:20 PM
That no. 8 has been whispering to me in my sleep for a while now...got a veritas BUJ on the way and my bank account is hoping it will ease the cravings a bit...

Rick Erickson
03-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Zach, there are just some necessities in life where you have to overlook the numbers in the bank account: Food, Shelter, Clothing, LN #8.

I just spent a good hour in my shop with my 8 and now I can rest easy tonight (aah! sweet dreams).

Rick Markham
04-01-2010, 2:27 AM
It's an absolutely addictive beast! So is the 60 1/2 ;). I am anxiously awaiting the LN Tampa show :D Gonna have to make some decisions... me thinks muh birthday is coming early this year LOL

Rick Markham
04-01-2010, 2:29 AM
Zach, the No. 8 still works even if the power company turns off the lights:D

James Taglienti
04-01-2010, 7:42 AM
Yes, and at just a hair under $500 it's an absolute steal!! :rolleyes:

Pretty sure you can get an 8" powered jointer from grizzly for a few dollars more?

David Keller NC
04-01-2010, 8:34 AM
Sure - but you can only joint the face of boards under 8" in width. The #8 will accomodate boards of almost unlimited width...:D

Don Dorn
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
That no. 8 has been whispering to me in my sleep for a while now...got a veritas BUJ on the way and my bank account is hoping it will ease the cravings a bit...

This is going to come off as blasphamy, but I have a 4 1/2 LN smoother that I recently purchased, even though I have a LV Low Angle Smoother. I definately love the 4 1/2 and it does it's job beautifully, but have to admit that it was repetative in the sense that the LV also does a beautiful job and it was already in the cabinet.

I have a #7 jointer, but must say that if I were to make that decision again, I'd opt for the one you have on order. While the #8 is kind of apples and oranges (a little bit), I suspect that the LV will absolutely do the same job and as well.

Zach England
04-01-2010, 11:45 AM
This is going to come off as blasphamy, but I have a 4 1/2 LN smoother that I recently purchased, even though I have a LV Low Angle Smoother. I definately love the 4 1/2 and it does it's job beautifully, but have to admit that it was repetative in the sense that the LV also does a beautiful job and it was already in the cabinet.

I have a #7 jointer, but must say that if I were to make that decision again, I'd opt for the one you have on order. While the #8 is kind of apples and oranges (a little bit), I suspect that the LV will absolutely do the same job and as well.

I also have both those smoothers and have found for my needs that they are not duplicitous. The LAS is MUCH better at dealing with end grain than any higher-angle plane. It also handles figured woods without tearout. However, when it comes to ease of use nothing beats the 4 1/2. It is like shaving butter with a carrot peeler. The same goes for the low-angle jack and LN no. 5. Just my experience.To be fair, I've never tried the high-angle iron in the bevel-up planes. It's been sitting on my sharpening table for months now.

I don't have any Bed Rock planes (and only two old Stanleys that I actually use), so I am sort of thinking I may buy a Bed Rock 608 and try it out before I spring for the LN 8. I should build that plane till first, though.

Alex Silva
04-01-2010, 12:30 PM
You can also get some free destroyed fingertips with that Grizzly jointer (or with my Hammer jointer) :) Moreover, since my daughter is 1 month old, i was forbidden to use noisy powertools when she's sleeping.. so that's 16 hours a day... BUT i can use my jointer at 3 AM If she's awake at that time :))) I love my wife !

Cheers,

Alex

Chuck Tringo
04-01-2010, 2:20 PM
LOL I can see it now, baby starts crying in the middle of the night....your wife gets up to feed the baby and you get up to go to the shop :p