PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" vs. 1/2" shank on router bit (Please help!)

David Song
03-31-2010, 8:03 PM
Hi,

I'm going to be ordering my first set of router bits. Whiteside bits from Hartville tools. However the choices come down to 1/4" and 1/2" shank for the bits.

Which do I want? Would I regret down the road if I get one over the other?

please help!

Thanks!

Phil Phelps
03-31-2010, 8:10 PM
1/2", with out a doubt.

Orlando Gonzalez
03-31-2010, 8:18 PM
Ditto - 1/2" bits. You won't regret it. There is more steel on the bit which makes less prone to vibration and in the long run safer than 1/4" bits. But undertand that for some types/sizes 1/2" bits may not be available and you would need to get the 1/4" bit. But this may be down the road for you.

HTH

tyler mckenzie
03-31-2010, 8:20 PM
i'd go 1/2 for most of my bits, except for small round overs (3/8 ths and under) and small flush trim bits that are better served using a laminate router (only has 1/4 collet).

Joel Goodman
03-31-2010, 8:23 PM
+1 on 1/2" shanks -- if you router has a 1/2 collet for it (which most do) get the 1/2". Stronger and more stable.

Bob Lloyd
03-31-2010, 8:26 PM
Definitely 1/2" you will not regret it.

David Song
03-31-2010, 8:29 PM
Well, I only have a laminate trimmer right now. I guess I can or will need to buy a bigger router down the road.

1. Do I get 1.2" shank and get a bigger router?

or

2. It doesn't make that much of difference, so get the 1/4" shank since my trimmer is 1/4"?

scott spencer
03-31-2010, 8:29 PM
As rare as it is that a group of woodworkers universally agree on any tool, blade, or bit, it appears to be unanimous...1/2" shank whenever possible. ;)

David Song
03-31-2010, 8:30 PM
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11685

This is the set I"m looking at for those of you who don't know.

David Song
03-31-2010, 8:31 PM
i'd go 1/2 for most of my bits, except for small round overs (3/8 ths and under) and small flush trim bits that are better served using a laminate router (only has 1/4 collet).

Like you said, I think the set i'm looking at has small round overs and small slush trim bits. So do I still get 1/2" shank?

David Song
03-31-2010, 8:33 PM
If my trimmer has only 1/4" collet, should I get an adapter and go for 1/2" bits? Or is this dangerous or not recommended?

Keith Albertson
03-31-2010, 8:33 PM
Get 1/2 inch for any bit you can. Buy the best bits you can afford. I wish I could get all the money back I spent on cheap 1/4 inch bits when I first started buying them. Big mistake. If I had a laminate trimmer, I'd buy a few good quality 1/4 inch bits just for it, but wouldn't run them in my regular router. Anything going in the router needs to be 1/2. Also, try and get the "antikickback" bits when you can. They limit how much the bit can bite off at once, and are safer and more cmfortable to work with, in my opinion.

David Song
03-31-2010, 8:34 PM
Get 1/2 inch for any bit you can. Buy the best bits you can afford. I wish I could get all the money back I spent on cheap 1/4 inch bits when I first started buying them. Big mistake. If I had a laminate trimmer, I'd buy a few good quality 1/4 inch bits just for it, but wouldn't run them in my regular router. Anything going in the router needs to be 1/2. Also, try and get the "antikickback" bits when you can. They limit how much the bit can bite off at once, and are safer and more cmfortable to work with, in my opinion.

Thanks!

so are the sets I linked above "anti kick back" ???

Brian Penning
03-31-2010, 8:48 PM
I've been buying 1/4" for the smaller bits. This way I can use them on my Bosch Colt also.

Bob Lloyd
03-31-2010, 8:49 PM
A laminate trimmer is really a dedicated tool, I would not recommend using it with other router bits.

Keith Albertson
03-31-2010, 8:55 PM
Thanks!

so are the sets I linked above "anti kick back" ???

It's hard to tell, but I don't think so. The "antikickback" bits usually back the cutter blade all the way around, with just a little opening for the next cutter blade. These look like they only back the cutter part of the way.

Here is a link about router bits that explains the anti-kickback bit:

http://www.rockler.com/articles/display_article.cfm?story_id=135

Having said all this, Whiteside makes great bits....

glenn bradley
03-31-2010, 9:10 PM
1/2" whenever possible, 1/4" when you have to. I would not buy anything in 1/4" just so it would fit my laminate trimmer except those bits that I plan to run in it. Your next router should have 1/2" collet. Oh, and it should be a plunge (or a combo).

Glen Butler
03-31-2010, 9:20 PM
The cost of bits far surpass the cost of a 1 3/4HP router to run them. They run so much better it is worth having 1/2".

Myk Rian
03-31-2010, 9:35 PM
If my trimmer has only 1/4" collet, should I get an adapter and go for 1/2" bits? Or is this dangerous or not recommended?
You won't get an adapter. Not made. If they were/are, I would not recommend using one.
My first set of bits was a 66 piece set of 1/4" shank bits from E-bay. I still have 64 of them. 2 broke. 1 was a keyhole bit, the other was a 1/4" straight bit. I bought them 6 years ago. When I replace them, I buy 1/2" shank bits whenever I can.

For a trim router, you don't want to use anything over 3/8" bit diameter. They aren't made to turn anything bigger.

David Prince
03-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi,

I'm going to be ordering my first set of router bits. Whiteside bits from Hartville tools. However the choices come down to 1/4" and 1/2" shank for the bits.

Which do I want? Would I regret down the road if I get one over the other?

please help!

Thanks!

First issue: You have a trim router. That has a 1/4 collet and is not compatible with 1/2. There is no adapter that I am aware of. Besides that the router is not made to turn a 1/2 bit. So, you are currently stuck with 1/4 bits.

Second issue: A trim router is not made for daily router uses and regular 1/4 bits the way that a regular router is. So, do not use your trim router for general routering. Get a bigger router.

Van Huskey
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
I would seriously consider looking for a full sized router as soon as you can. I only buy 1/4" bits when the profile only comes as a 1/4" OR for dedicated bits for my Colt. Here is my suggestion, just buy quality 1/4" bits you can use in a lam trimmer that way you will have them for a long time and won't rebuy when you get a full sized router.

Joe Spear
03-31-2010, 10:33 PM
If my trimmer has only 1/4" collet, should I get an adapter and go for 1/2" bits?

I don't understand what kind of adapter you could possibly get to fit a 1/2" shank in a 1/4" collet. There are reducing adapters for using shanks of 1/4" or 3/8" (in the case of a solid carbide spiral bit) in a 1/2" collet, but the opposite direction--???

Tom Henderson2
03-31-2010, 11:16 PM

This is a key point that I overlooked when I started buying bits.... doggone it.

If the bit will be taking of a lot of material -- go with the 1/2 inch shank. But if it is a trim bit, and may be used in a trim router, go 1/4. The last thing you want to do is be horsing a big 2HP router around to do a 1/8" round over...

-TH

mreza Salav
04-01-2010, 1:00 AM
The answers you were getting were with the assumption you are going to use a full size router (which accepts 1/2" bits).
A trim router has very limited use and CANNOT be used with large bits.
If you want to do anything serious you need a bigger router.

Having said that, you have got the correct advice: to get 1/2" bits for that whenever possible. Although for smaller bits, i.e. those like 1/4" bits or 1/8" bits I get them in 1/4" shank since there is not much benefit by going to 1/2" and instead I can use it in my trim router.