PDA

View Full Version : How did I live without one???

Jim Slovik
03-31-2010, 7:52 PM
I purchased a vacuum pump set up about a month ago and finally got around to ordering an adapter and a vacuum chuck hub from JT Turning Tools last week. What a sweet set up. If you're in the market for a vacuum adapter, check out JT's. Well made and easy to use. The vacuum chuck hub is pretty cool too. It uses a 2" piece of PVC coupling...it couldn't be easier.
Anyway, I got off track.....How did I ever live without a vacuum chuck? I finally got a chance to use it last night and I couldn't believe how well it holds and how easy it is to use. If you don't have one but have a chance to try one out, do it. I can't say enough about it. Very easy, great holding power.
Jim

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Jim - I've had my system for awhile now and still love using it!

When I first started using the vac system, it was a little unnerving to see your turning stuck to the chuck with no visible means of support! I remember the first time having a bowl on the chuck! Had to check it out, so with the lathe speed turned down to zero, vacuum at 20 hg, I tried to pull the bowl off the chuck. At first I just gave a little tug - half expecting to have the bowl pull away! Didn't happen! Gave it a series of ever increasing pulls until I gave it all I had - nothing moved! I still remember thinking that even though it looked strange - it sure was secure - and then went ahead and finished off the bottom of the bowl!

Glad you like your system! I've seen JT's new website and they sure have some nice tools! The vacuum chuck looks bombproof!

Have fun! Remember next time - we like photos!