PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing a China Cabinet

Dan Mages
03-31-2010, 7:27 PM
My wife and I need some additional storage in our dining room and want to buy a china cabinet to match the table and buffet we already have. These belonged to by Great Aunt Riva and was probably purchased in the mid 70's. I am not sure about the style or where to find a china cabinet that will match. Any advice on this would be appreciated!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/MISC/100_2985.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/MISC/100_2983.jpg

Dan

David Prince
03-31-2010, 10:14 PM
We are woodworkers! Build one!:D

Dan Mages
03-31-2010, 10:33 PM
We are woodworkers! Build one!:D
Most of us are. I lack the skills, tools, and time make anything this big and complicated.

Mike Cutler
04-01-2010, 6:48 AM
Dan

There are many fine antique stores between New haven and New York, extending up into Litchfield County. I would take some pics and on weekends when time and your new baby allow, go "antiquing".
Unfortunately my wife and I haven't spent much time in New Haven for a long time,she was born and raised in New Haven and the surrounding area, so I really don't know what is in the New Haven area any longer.
I believe that there may still be a spring "Pier Show" in New York Sity. Piers 89,90 and 91 on the Hudson are turned into one giant antique store for the weekend. The prices are pretty high the first two days, but I've literally bought furniture off the sidewalk on the last day. If nothing else it may get you some contacts, and point you in the right direction.

Are there any identifying tags or marks on the current table or sideboard. Usually they are underneath the table top and chair legs, and on the back, or bottom of the sideboard. They may be stenciled into the wood also.
There is a "code" to these markings that can get you the style, manufacture, and collection name. A lot of the furniture from that era was produced in the North Carolina.

PS.
How has the transition from Chicago to New Haven been for you, Now that you've been here a few years? I moved from Los Angeles to Connecticut. I've liked it here from the beginning.