PDA

View Full Version : Hollow forms and mini's

Frank Guerin
03-31-2010, 7:11 PM
I'm not buying anything in the near future but just for my own info if you have turned a hollow form on a mini I would greatly appreciate any pics, deminsions of your tuning and what lathe you turned on.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2010, 10:09 AM
There are a number of folks that turn on the new Delta 46-460 lathes. Check out any recent turnings by John Keeton to get an idea of what sizes you can create!

Mike A. Smith
04-02-2010, 5:31 PM
I turn on a little Penn State lathe and I've done hollow forms. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74900)

The width is determined by the swing of your lathe. The height really depends more on your tools than the lathe, i.e., how far can you reach? (Or course a really tall one out of oak might require some patience.)

One more thought, I don't know how it is for others, but I find I need to get on the other side of the lathe from time to time on hollow forms. So your setup could matter also.

Hope this helps.

Allen Neighbors
04-02-2010, 6:37 PM
I turn hollowforms on Little Vic (VL100). I don't have any pics of them, but like Mike says, I sometimes turn from both sides of the lathe on my large lathe, but it's hard to do with my tool rack in the way on the little Vicmarc.
I have decided I need to make a steady rest for the Vicmarc. The little Compac chuck doesn't have the grip that my SN2 has. (Or maybe I'm not making the tenons right. :) )

Frank Guerin
04-02-2010, 6:45 PM
Thankyou gentlemen. Ill keep watching the turning forum for more hollow turning on a mini.

Mike McAfee
04-02-2010, 8:00 PM
There are a number of folks that turn on the new Delta 46-460 lathes. Check out any recent turnings by John Keeton to get an idea of what sizes you can create!

John's work is an inspiration!!!

MMc

Jeff Nicol
04-03-2010, 6:39 PM
Frank, I used to have a small Steel City VS lathe but upgraded to the Delta 46-460 for more swing and HP. I have done vases, hollow forms and everything inbetween on a mini/midi lathe. The only difference is that with the smaller lathes you can't take off as much wood as you can with a big one and the swing over the bed determines the size you can turn. There are tools for the smaller lathes just like the big lathes, like captured hollowing rigs and articulating hollowers can be used also. There are many guys who only have smaller lathes like Steve said about John Keeton, and he is making us all look bad! I have 3 lathes from big to little and I love them all! They all have a place in my shop and get used for certain turnings most of the time.

So when you decide to get a lathe this is the place to come for information.

We are always ready to help!

Jef

Mark Hubl
04-03-2010, 7:29 PM
Frank,

I started turning hollow forms on a mini. Jet 1014. Here is a link to a pictorial of turning a box elder hollow form on my mini. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=280