PDA

View Full Version : Resp O Rator

Mike Minto
03-31-2010, 4:28 PM
Just recieved my "resp o rator" breathing protection device - anyone ever use it? Won't get to until this weekend. Likes / dislikes? I sold my Trend Pro for a number of reasons, and while at first I thought this looked kinda stoopid, really, I now think it might be just the ticket. I have a beard, like to be able to scratch my face occasionally, and like many folks, have a sensitivity (learned the hard way) to wood mold and too much sawdust. Will send photo and report when I get to use it.

Scott Lux
03-31-2010, 4:32 PM
That's going to make it hard to cuss when needed isn't it? :p

Actually, I kinda like the concept. I look forward to an in-depth review.

Don Geiger
03-31-2010, 5:56 PM
I bought one a couple of years ago and after using it a few times, I took it to a club meeting and gave it away. What I didn't like is that moisture from your mouth and breath accumulate and drip out the exhaust area which is in the front. It was kind of gross and was dripping on everything.

Don

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2010, 6:22 PM
Had one and hated it. Don't like my nose pin shut and don't like breathing thru my mouth. Like Don don't like dripping out of the exhaust port. Bought a 3M.

Bart Leetch
03-31-2010, 7:18 PM
I had a problem recently with spalted Maple while turning I have a full beard & used a Dust be gone mask...not good... I had been hacking & coughing for about 2 weeks or longer trying to get over this problem & couldn't afford to buy the Trend pro or something similar so I thought what the heck it's only $36 for a 3M so I purchased one & it seals up against my beard just fine. I have had no further problems & I have been doing a lot of sanding spalted Maple.

I thought I mention I have a full face shield & LOML made a bag for it out of an old bath towel. So I just rinse it under the faucet & blow dry it with the air hose & slide it into the bag, so far only a small smudge on it no scratches.

Don Geiger
03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Bernie:

I'd forgotten about the nose pin (I guess shock treatment works). It was one of the other things I didn't like about the Resporator.

Don Geiger

Had one and hated it. Don't like my nose pin shut and don't like breathing thru my mouth. Like Don don't like dripping out of the exhaust port. Bought a 3M.

Jeff Fagen
04-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Can anyone provide a link to the 3M brand mask?

Mike McAfee
04-01-2010, 12:14 AM

They have quite a selection, maybe start here!

http://www.respiratorsdirect.net/

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2010, 12:19 AM

Jeff here is where I got mine.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepaas400airstreamsystem.aspx

Robert Snowden
04-01-2010, 5:14 AM
Bernie
Can you tell me how it seal's arund your neck and face?

Ryan Baker
04-01-2010, 11:28 PM
It doesn't seal. The powered respirators are positive pressure -- they pump filtered air into the helmet, which is forced out around the neck and sides. As long as the fan is pumping, the air flow prevents dust and other things from coming in through the gaps.

Mike Minto
04-02-2010, 9:13 AM
Ryan and others, true the Trend is a positive flow unit, but it does not filter really fine particles out of the air. I didn't like it's fit on my head, and not being able to scratch my face - which I need to do often in the shop :o. I also gotta say I don't really like the Resp O Rator too much so far, either - very strange device. I don't know what I need - perhaps I'll have to invent something.