PDA

View Full Version : Segmented ashtray donation

Bill Wyko
03-31-2010, 3:52 PM
Every year an event happens called the Quad State Herf. It's a cigar smokers gathering that raises money for wounded Veterans. This is the second year I donated an ashtray to this wonderful cause. This year they raised over $9000.00. From what I was told, the ashtray got a lot of attention and was well recieved. The woods used are Curly Maple, Honduran Rosewood, Gabon ebony, Bloodwood and a coral inlace. Anyway, here are some pics. Please enjoy.

Brett Baldwin
03-31-2010, 4:19 PM
So how many people just have it sit nearby and put their ashes in some other lesser ashtray? Beautiful work as usual.

Robert McGowen
03-31-2010, 4:37 PM
I see you are still doing some excellent work, Bill. Very nice.

John Keeton
03-31-2010, 4:42 PM
Bill, please don't tell me that folks are actually going to dump hot ashes in that piece of art!!!:eek: Hopefully, this one will be prominently displayed on someone's desk with a sign warning others it is for display only!

Great work from a tremendously talented humidor maker and apparently a very talented woodturner as well!

Ray Bell
03-31-2010, 4:42 PM
Very Nice Bill. Too nice to put a cigar out in. Wonderful cause also.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2010, 4:51 PM
Bill - excellent work! Glad to see you posting in the Turning Forum again! Miss seeing your segmented turnings!

Bill Wyko
03-31-2010, 4:54 PM
Thanks my friends. Fortunately cigar etiquette dictates that you let a cigar rest in peace to go out. No crushing it. As far as the ash goes, it's never been a problem as far as burning the wood. I will say though, I don't think anyone so far has actually used one of my ashtrays for a......ashtray.:D One of these times I will make a Humidor for them to raffle off. Anything I can make to raise money for our wounded troops is worth doing. Time is my biggest asset and my only enemy. :rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
03-31-2010, 4:57 PM
Bill - excellent work! Glad to see you posting in the Turning Forum again! Miss seeing your segmented turnings!

I'm really missing turning but I've been getting a lot of paying flat-ish work so I have to go with the flow(of cash) in this economy. Honestly, woodworking is giving my Car Audio business a run for its money. :eek: I've got some new designs for segmented patterns I can't wait to put to use.

Richard Madison
03-31-2010, 5:09 PM
That's another nice one Bill, and for a very worthy cause. Request permission to repost one of your pictures on another forum where a fellow is looking for info on cigar ash trays. Not sure if they allow reference back to this forum.

Bill Wyko
03-31-2010, 5:11 PM
That's another nice one Bill, and for a very worthy cause. Request permission to repost one of your pictures on another forum where a fellow is looking for info on cigar ash trays. Not sure if they allow reference back to this forum.
Thanks very much. No problem. If you like, have him PM me. I have a website he can check out.

Bill Bolen
03-31-2010, 5:25 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous Bill. And thank you for helping out our wounded troops. We can never do enough for them but you gave your most precious comodity....your time and art...Bill...

Tony De Masi
03-31-2010, 5:29 PM
While I personally love this piece I somehow feel the need to pass on some info about segmented turnings from a very well known professional turner. A couple of weeks ago David Ellsworth was the guest demonstrator at our club meeting. He also handled the show and tell table and gave his critique of each and every piece on the table. When he picked up one of the segmented pieces he said, and I will somewhat paraphrase here, that segmented pieces show how skilled someone is with a table saw or miter saw but not much about their turning skills. Needless to say there were a lot of stunned looking faces in the crowd. He didn't expound on his statement and I think most were somewhat too shocked to even ask.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2010, 6:33 PM
Beautiful Bill.

Bill Wyko
03-31-2010, 6:42 PM
While I have the utmost respect for David and his DVDs and tools. I own most of what he makes. I'm very disappointed he looks at segmenting like this. Segmenting is another way of expressing the beauty of the woods. It takes turning to a whole different level. While turning is a test of ones skills in many ways, it's not the priority of the turning. The beauty that comes out in the wood or woods used should be the priority. How it flows with the grain, how the shape lends to the grain. These are what's important. Using segmenting to highlight the wood and create patterns is just another way to expand on these features. I've got to say it disappoints me he would have this outlook on segmenting. Thank you though for your compliment and Davids opinion. Even though he is so far out of my league, I really would like to discuss this with him.

BTW I do solid turnings as well. Here is an example. It's 1/16th thick and I didn't even blow it to pieces. Sorry about the dust on it.

David E Keller
03-31-2010, 6:44 PM
That's a beautiful ashtray... I can't believe I just typed that.

Bill Wyko
03-31-2010, 6:48 PM
LOL:D Cigar aficianado's are much like wood turners. They store cigars for years, they take pride in their collections and they take good care of their cigars much like we do with our blanks and tools. Lots of good people in the cigar world.

Richard Madison
04-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks Bill. Got one of your pictures to pass on.

Re. David E.'s comment (via Tony), it's easy to guess that he was displeased with the shape of the piece ("form" if we must). The piece may have been flawlessly cut and constructed (as are yours BTW, best I can tell), but the shape was unsatisfactory in an artistic or technical way. Very much doubt if David was denigrating segmenting in general. Many examples of good shape and poor shape on the segmenting forum.

Been working on "form" myself in recent months. Not sure if it's easier to hollow a log or build one, but it's faster.

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Bill,

That is stunning. Whether it's used for an ashtray or not it's way too nice to be called an ashtray! Can you call it a small bowl?:D

Doug

Baxter Smith
04-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Pretty whatever you call it!:)

Brian Effinger
04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Phenomenal - as always, Bill. So how much did your piece fetch?

Bill Wyko
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
The raffle was set up to buy tickets towards everything that was donated but from what I understand, the people were debating who was going to win the ashtray.:D

Keith Palmer
04-01-2010, 1:42 PM
Excellent ashtray Bill and a great donation! I just got back into cigar smoking myself and have been admiring your ashtrays. Couple of questions: what do you use for a finish on them? and How do you make the indentations for the cigar to rest on?

Thanks

John Tomasello jr
04-01-2010, 7:12 PM
Great cause to donate to & that ash tray is a work of art.

Roland Martin
04-01-2010, 9:37 PM
As John Put it, this IS a work of art!! Really like all the figure in these segments and the combination of species is great.

mike fuson
04-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Very nice Bill, I like it.

Bill Wyko
04-02-2010, 1:22 PM
Excellent ashtray Bill and a great donation! I just got back into cigar smoking myself and have been admiring your ashtrays. Couple of questions: what do you use for a finish on them? and How do you make the indentations for the cigar to rest on?

Thanks

Thanks very much everyone. As far as the finish goes, it's Lacquer and the indentations are done using a jig to hold the tray and pass it over a bull nose bit. :)