PDA

View Full Version : Special Drill Bit

Brian Brightwell
03-31-2010, 3:04 PM
I am building a pole barn using rough sawed hard wood. I am going to fasten the nailers with 1/2x5 inch lag bolts. I am looking for a bit that will drill the clearance hole (half inch) and counter sink for the head and washer in one operation. This would be very handy because of the number of bolts and the work at elevation. Can anyone tell me where to get such a bit or ideas on how to fab one?

Mark Major
03-31-2010, 3:47 PM
Hi Brian...what you are looking for is called a flat bottom counterbore bit, but I've never seen one that large. good luck Mark

Rick Lizek
03-31-2010, 5:24 PM
http://www.morriswoodtool.com/Counterbores.htm
You are looking for a counterbore, flat bottom, and Morris has been in business for many years selling such items.

Walter Plummer
03-31-2010, 7:15 PM
http://www.wlfuller.com/html/type__b_.html
Fuller is another good make. If you can get a drill bit with long enough flutes I think it will work but in the end you may get better/faster results by counterboring first and then using a power auger type bit to pilot the lags. I think with a regular twist bit you will spend more time clearing the bit and hole than drilling. Good luck.

Peter Quinn
03-31-2010, 8:17 PM
I am building a pole barn using rough sawed hard wood. I am going to fasten the nailers with 1/2x5 inch lag bolts. I am looking for a bit that will drill the clearance hole (half inch) and counter sink for the head and washer in one operation. This would be very handy because of the number of bolts and the work at elevation. Can anyone tell me where to get such a bit or ideas on how to fab one?

Have you looked into fastenmaster timberlock lags? Smaller diameter, same shear strength as 1/2" lags but much thinner, almost self tapping, though not quite, has a washer head. Much easier to drive. Worth a look versus traditional lag bolts.

Ditto Morris Wood tool. If they don't stock it, they can make it for you most likely.

Brian Brightwell
03-31-2010, 8:57 PM
Thank You gentlemen that is what I was looking for. I think it will make the job go faster.