PDA

View Full Version : Color images on glassware?

Peter Meacham
03-31-2010, 2:41 PM
I guess this is not an engraving question per se, but not sure where else I could ask.

I need to put color images on glassware - beer, wine, etc.

What are my options: color decals.... anything else?

Would decals be water/alcohol/washing safe?

Any recommended sources for low volume decals, say 500 or so.

Can I do them myself?

Thanks for any input.

Pete

Richard Rumancik
03-31-2010, 3:26 PM
Perhaps investigate the LazerTran products (note the "z") and see if there is something compatible with what you want to do and the equipment you already have.

http://www.lazertran.com (http://www.lazertran.com/)

I have not used their products but apparently the decals can be baked onto ceramic (and glass) in a domestic oven. I don't know if a regular beer mug would withstand the temperature but take a look. If not baked it would not be very durable.

http://www.lazertran.com/products/lazertran_products_original.htm (http://www.lazertran.com/products/lazertran_products_original.htm)

I recall seeing a book on LazerTran products at the library so if you can locate it, it might give some additional tips.

Ross Moshinsky
03-31-2010, 4:36 PM
What kind of color image? If it's full spectrum color, I don't know what to suggest. If we are just talking about a 2-3 color logo, we get ours silk screened from various ASI vendors. We've typically use GlassAmerica. If you can, get the image down to 1-2 colors and get it silk screened. 500 units you'll get a good case pricing. Remember to factor in shipping. Shipping on 500 glasses is probably $200.

Peter Meacham
03-31-2010, 6:08 PM
Thanks for the links Richard - I talked to the company helpline and they indicate that their products are not "dishwasher safe" and would not hold up under that kind of cleaning.

So, I am still looking.

Martin Boekers
03-31-2010, 7:02 PM
Sublimates hold up pretty good.

They are dye-sub decals, in transparent or with a white backing.
I've used them on mugs and they were ok, but they are a decal
and you can tell that. Similiar to the transparent decals that you see on some wine and beer bottles.

They are ok for one ups and test samples, but I wouldn't want to do 500!

I to would check with an ASI distributer as they have many cool things.

Marty

Peter Meacham
04-01-2010, 8:04 AM
Martin and Ross

Thanks for your inputs.

I have a cupboard full of glassware with color images on them. From the LA Lakers to widelife to beer companies, etc.

And I am trying to figure exactly how they were decorated. They appear to be painted. So, I presume the factory has automated painting stations on the production line - probably a silk screen system - I guess I need to look for that episode on "How did they do that" or "How's it Made".

They can't done with a sublimation process directly, as the materials (glass) don't support that process - at least that I am aware of.

I have tons of old email from ASI companies, I will go through them and see if I can see any ideas.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Pete

Ross Moshinsky
04-01-2010, 9:39 AM
Martin and Ross

Thanks for your inputs.

I have a cupboard full of glassware with color images on them. From the LA Lakers to widelife to beer companies, etc.

And I am trying to figure exactly how they were decorated. They appear to be painted. So, I presume the factory has automated painting stations on the production line - probably a silk screen system - I guess I need to look for that episode on "How did they do that" or "How's it Made".

They can't done with a sublimation process directly, as the materials (glass) don't support that process - at least that I am aware of.

I have tons of old email from ASI companies, I will go through them and see if I can see any ideas.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Pete

Most stuff is silk screened. I know there is probably another process out for people who have 50 colors in their logo, but I don't know what it is. My guess is direct to substrate printing, but I bet it costs a pretty penny to do it this way.

You should call GlassAmerica. They are great people, do nice work, and charge a fair price. We typically use them 2-3 times a year for orders of glasses/mugs/ect.

Uma Duffy
04-01-2010, 7:50 PM
I posted pretty much the same question on the dye sub forum and Neal Schlee directed me to a product called Digi-Coat. Check out their website. It took a liitle poking around but they do have a US distributor in UT . Long story short...I ordered a full line of their dyesub coating to try on some glassware and I hope to be able to give it a try this weekend. The sales rep was very helpful and actually just called me today to see how we are doing with the product. I was embarrassed to say we hadn't tried it yet. I'd love to be able to put color on glass. The bigger problem may be finding the right wraps...It's not gonna work with my mug press, I fear.

Anyone else tried the Digi-Coat yet?

Martin Boekers
04-01-2010, 8:38 PM
Mmmm sounds interesting! I will have to try some.

I assume the coating is dishwasher an food safe?

Marty