PDA

View Full Version : Turning question

Keith Riggin
03-31-2010, 2:07 PM
This probably sounds silly but... I have started to turn a few bowls on my metal lathe, I have made a few chisels out of old files and they work really good, I finially decided it was time to get some store bought chisels so I got a set from sears, problem is.. I cant get them to cut..lol.. I have my rest (which is a 1/4 x 2 flat bar) clamped in my aloris tool holder, it is set about 1/4 below center and I let the homemade file/chisel lay flat when turning, when I try to use the chisels from sears they just rub and wont cut, I keep my rest about 1/4 away from the wood, are the new sears chisels supposed to be held up at a angle? If so this would mean my rest would have to be way below center. thanks!

alex carey
03-31-2010, 2:33 PM
not sure whats wrong with your technique so ill let someone else answer that. The files however generally shouldn't be used for turning. They are much too brittle and are prone to snapping, or so I hear.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2010, 5:03 PM
Keith - woodturning tools are designed so that you rub the bevel when cutting the wood. Not all the tools - but most of them. Unlike a metal lathe where the cutter is held mechanically perpendicular to the surface being cut - in woodturning, the ideal angle and height depends on what you are turning and how it is mounted to the lathe.

If you want to use your metal lathe - you most likely will need a different tool rest that allows you access to the wood.

Probably the best suggestion would be to get with your local turning club. Lots of great folks willing to answer questions and help you get started!

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2010, 6:37 PM
I agree with finding a turning club. Also I wouldn't use the old files for turning. To brittle and will snap if you have a catch. Also did you sharpen the tools when you got them home? Most tools don't come with a sharp edge. Most times using a bowl gouge my tool rest is below center so that the tool tip will be at the center of the turning.

Mac Carlton
04-01-2010, 1:00 AM
files will hurt you bad or even worse.
Check www.wooturner.org (http://www.wooturner.org) for a club in your area.
Just click on find a club(chapter), insert state and your off.

Richard Madison
04-01-2010, 1:45 AM
Not silly. Steve nailed it. When I tried woodturning the first time, with experience in metal turning, it was a disaster. Managed to make a few pieces with a scraper and much sanding, followed by a ten-year lack of interest. Finally learned to use a bowl gouge and it's a whole different world. Set your feet, set tool rest close to the work, set bowl gouge on the tool rest pointed at the ceiling, raise handle until the bevel begins to rub (while keeping the tool firmly on the tool rest), slowly raise handle until the tool begins to cut. Oops, have assumed that your bowl gouge is sharp.

Back to, find a club or a nearby experienced turner. You can learn in an hour what it took me many years to learn. Good luck.

Keith Riggin
04-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I havent sharpened my new tools, but I will, thanks for the ideas!

Leo Van Der Loo
04-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I havent sharpened my new tools, but I will, thanks for the ideas!

Keith I turn wood on my metal lathe, get or make a woodturning banjo and toolrest and use the woodturning tools as they are designed to do.

Just park the carriage at the end of the ways so it's out of the way, I do have a few pictures in an album that you cam have a look at if you like, more ??, just ask and I'll see if I can help you with it :)

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum25.html

Keith Riggin
04-02-2010, 12:09 PM
How far below center is the top of your rest? does it move up and down any? thanks!

Leo Van Der Loo
04-02-2010, 9:47 PM
Keith yes the toolrest can be raised and lowered, it can go about 2" below center and an inch about above center, welcome