PDA

View Full Version : New router setup

Brett Nelson
03-31-2010, 1:46 PM
I'm assembling a new router setup that will hopefully be the last setup I need for quite some time. I would've liked to build my own table, but the Kreg precision table really has everything that I would've built into it. So I will be buying the Kreg table and the Triton TRA001 router to go in it.

The reasons for buying the Triton router are many. The single-tool bit change from above the table is great. The thing is a beast for power. It comes very highly recommended for table use.

But the most important feature is the plunge base. I'll be building a motorized router lift like John Nixon's from Eagle Lake Woodworking. I would love to wait and buy the retail version that MLCS has coming out, but the anticipated price is more than I'd be willing to spend anyway.

The Triton plunge base has 2 1/4" usable plunge depth which is good for what I'm doing. I'll be replacing the plate in the Kreg table with one of my own making milled from aluminum. This new plate will serve also as an attachment for the precision threaded lift rod. The rod will be attached to a precision stepper motor. The motor will be run from both a foot pedal and button. The lift should be accurate to 1/64", which should be more than enough for woodworking. The system will have variable speed control, fine depth adjustment, etc.

I'll be designing the lift and some adjustable extension roller supports in 3D on Solidworks so that I don't run into any snags along the way. In my profession I have access to mechanical and electrical engineers who'll be helping me on the design. I also have access to the milling machine for the aluminum parts.

I just have to make a couple decisions now.

Do I want it to be compatible with various routers?
Do I want to have a digital readout for height and speed?
Do I want the depth stops to be hardware, software, or just to outfit the motor with a clutch and use the Triton plunge stops.

It's unlikely that I would ever want to market this, but if anyone is interested in plans and parts lists when I'm done, I'd be happy to oblige.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I'd like to try to get it right the first time.