PDA

View Full Version : To CarveWright? - or probably not

Michael Hunter
03-31-2010, 1:36 PM
I see from the sigs that a number of laserists here also have CarveWrights.

I was looking into a CarveWright to cope with jobs which are too long to fit into my Epilog*.
Having downloaded the manuals etc., it seems that the CW software is completely incompatible with Corel and CAD programs, making it impossible to transfer jobs from laser to CW and vice-versa.
How do you cope with the different systems - or have you found a cunning way to transfer stuff from Corel?

* I've just been asked to engrave a boat name onto a 48" transom plank - I can only get 36" into the laser! My current solution is to use the laser to cut MDF templates and then router the name into the plank.

Dee Gallo
03-31-2010, 3:03 PM
Michael,

I have one and found it was not able to do the smaller detail I needed, so I only use my laser now. However, it does do nice work if you are doing large signs or carving, and it comes with software which creates 3D easily.

If you have a need for a computer driven router, this is a great gizmo. I'd send you mine, but you're kind of far away.

cheers, dee

AL Ursich
03-31-2010, 4:25 PM
I am a CW User, I have 4 of them. Dee is correct, it will not do small text very well.... I even cut one of my 6 inch long Star 912 bits in half to fit my CW and it just does not have the resolution to do small text.

Another problem looking at the CW to do your boat project is the weight of the board. Yes, you can fit up to a 14.5 inch wide board in the machine and I believe you can select up to a 10 foot long board in the Designer Software. But it really comes down to weight.... The little gear driven Servo Motor must move the board in the X Direction. A Heavy Board will stall the servo motor or snap the teeth off the gear box.

Another Problem trying to use the machine on the other side of the pond is the LEAD restrictions on Circuit Boards on your side of the pond... It may not be legal.

Over on the CarveWight Forum there was a user called Greybeard that lives on your side of the pond. He gave up on the CW and has dropped out of the Forum but you might still be able to contact him from the forum.

I post under Digitalwoodshop on the forum and offer fix it advice from time to time.

My recommendations is something from Shop Bot or the other main stream CNC's... You might find that going from Corel easier. I use Corel for Laser, Sublimation, CLTT and Vinyl. Makes it easy...

I have made a TON of money with my CW's making small Signs for a development and Tourist Products...

It comes down to your NEEDS...... I have started using my CW cut FRP Name Tags in sizes I cannot get from Unisub. It works great.... I use a PVC Board as a carrier and strips of double back tape to hold the cut tags in place.

With the Shop Bot you could do cut out wood letters with a Brass overlay for boats... Something that would be hard to do on a CW as you cannot change the feed rate or do metal.

I am a freak when it comes to traditional Awards and Engraving.... I don't do awards or Trophies, I do a odd mix of Sublimation, Wood Working and Laser Engraving...:D I work Outside the Box with projects....

Good Luck,

AL

Michael Hunter
04-01-2010, 7:08 AM
Thanks Dee and Al

You have both confirmed that I made the right decision in not seriously trying to get the machine which was available.
(I did offer £250 (~$375) for it on the basis that it would be an interesting toy, but not surprisingly have not had an answer).

A mainstream CNC would be a much better tool to extend the capabilities of my business, but I'll have to save up for that!

Dan Hintz
04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
That would seem a bit of a lowball offer on even a used CW... they go for US$1k new, and take a couple hundred $s off for factory-warranted refurbs. I probably wouldn't offer someone much less than $500-600 for a good condition used one unless they were willing to part with it for less. If someone offered me $375 I'd have to chuckle, shake my head, and walk away mumbling to myself.