PDA

View Full Version : White Blotches After Stripping Finish

Todd Willhoit
03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi all,
I am repairing and refinishing a small game table sold by Ethan Allen. From the style, I expect that it was manufactured in the early 1970s. The center section is laminated particle board that appears to have been finished and/or refinished with polyurethane as the top coat. I have it removed from the table and have stripped the finish using Jasco paint & epoxy remover from Lowes. It did a fine job, however some white blotching now exists on the surface and some of the pores also appear white.

I read here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132656) that sanding a waxed surface can leave a white residue, but I don't know that that explains the white blotches seen after stripping.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? How would you proceed with stripping or applying a new finish?

Todd

Howard Acheson
03-31-2010, 3:16 PM
It looks like there is still finish on the wood and in the grain. I suggest you go through the stripping process again. Use a stiff bristled brush to work the stripper into the grain pores. Wipe the surface with mineral spirits and dry with lots of paper towels.

Todd Willhoit
03-31-2010, 5:59 PM
Thanks. I did wipe it down with mineral spirits. It looked nice until it dried out. I'll try more stripper.

Todd