PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe to turn?

Paul Maue
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
The other day I cut an ornamental pear crotch section in half. It looks like the bark inclusion were the two branches came together runs the entire length of this piece. I was going to cut out an 11 1/2" bowl from this piece but I am afraid that the two halves would split apart as I turned it. I guess that is why most of these tree split apart during windy thunder storms.
Should I try to turn it or just cut it up for spindle tuning stock?

Roger Bullock
03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
When in doubt, don't. Don't want you to start a thread later that starts out....Don't let this happen to you.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi Paul,
why take a chance? a more experienced turner might try it, though. Cut thru the inclusion and make smaller bowls.After you gain some more experience, maybe! Max

steven carter
03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Paul,

It looks to me like the blank will be prone to splitting apart. I have turned pieces like this in the past (very carefully). I use a tenon to hold the piece in the chuck, and would not want to use a recess. The tenon compresses the wood, and a recess expands the wood, which would cause a problem in this piece for sure. I'm not sure about your level of expertise, so it's hard to say for sure. Whatever you decide, be sure to wear safety equipment. I also use Ca glue in the cracks to help hold them together.

Steve

Bill Bolen
03-31-2010, 11:44 AM
I too have turned a few of these in the past and really should not have done it. Kinda risky. But I did and it worked out OK. After roughing out and being in the bag for several months I filled the void with stained epoxy and then turned to finished form. Made and interesting piece with the blackened epoxy filler.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Paul - just my opinion - but I would pitch it and find some other wood to work with. I can see cracks in the endgrain that were most likely caused when the tree broke apart in the winds, Anytime you deal with that kind of damage in the wood - it will not hold together by itself.

Save yourself the time and frustration and move on to something worth your effort.

Fred Perreault
03-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Cut the blank along the fault line, and save the wood for something else. Surely there will be a use for it later? A handle, spindle shape, whatever. I use those kinds of problems for strips for laminated cutting boards and plates.

Reed Gray
03-31-2010, 12:19 PM
The end grain cracks look to be pretty minimal, but the bark inclusion goes too deep. It could be turned, but would be exceptionally difficult and risky. CA glue will not hold a bark inclusion together. I would cut it down the bark inclusion line and turn smaller bowls out of it.

robo hippy

alex carey
03-31-2010, 2:22 PM
send it as a gift to a fellow turner you don't like. :)

Scott Lux
03-31-2010, 3:39 PM
There are a lot of pens, pendants, and ornaments in that wood. Maybe an endgrain goblet or two. But I don't think there's any bigger that a 3" - 4" bowl.

Bill Wyko
03-31-2010, 4:00 PM
I'm going with Steve on this one. If that came off at even 600 rpm's it would prpbably take your head off. There's a lot of nice wood in the world, you only have one head.:D

Wally Dickerman
03-31-2010, 5:39 PM
Sure it's safe...looks like 4 small bowls to me. Better than a whack upside the head with a large bowl:eek:

Wally

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2010, 6:24 PM
I wouldn't turn as is. Split it, dry it and turn a couple of peppermills out of it.

Ryan Baker
03-31-2010, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't turn that as is. Cut it into smaller blanks and turn them. If you really want to turn this, find some strong filler to glue up that inclusion, armor yourself up, and turn it like it was a grenade. To me, this piece is nowhere near special enough for the risk.