PDA

View Full Version : I want to figure this one out...

Donnie Raines
11-10-2004, 12:18 PM
I am tired of opening up a 2 liter of pop, only to have it go flat in a day or so.

I am going to invent a bottle cap that(you buy and re-use) has a pump on it(kinda like those basket balls that have the pump "built in" to it). You open up the bottle, throw the original cap away and replace it with the "Donnie cap"(..ok I need to work on the name part). Once you have poured yourself a glass you simply install the Donnie cap and give the pump a few pulls........voila....all of the air has been removed and the pop stays fresh longer....

What do you think??..... :rolleyes:

...sounds like something that should fetch 19.99 huh....

Rich Konopka
11-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Sounds Good Donnie.

However, the beverage companies are going to buy you out and then chuck out the "Donnie Cap". :mad:

This will allow for them to continue selling more soda because it goes flat before you drink. :(

But hey, at least you will be wealthy and afford all of the soda you can drink. :D

Better yet, you can negoiate a life-time supply of your favorite carbonated beverage. :eek:

Kevin Arceneaux
11-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Donnie, I saw one in Winn Dixie the other day. :)

Don't throw it out, go put it on your compost pile, it will help speed things up. I buy the real cheapo stuff from time to time and put it on mine, it helps with the pine needles, they take forever to break down.

Lee Schierer
11-10-2004, 12:47 PM
I am tired of opening up a 2 liter of pop, only to have it go flat in a day or so.

I am going to invent a bottle cap that(you buy and re-use) has a pump on it(kinda like those basket balls that have the pump "built in" to it). You open up the bottle, throw the original cap away and replace it with the "Donnie cap"(..ok I need to work on the name part). Once you have poured yourself a glass you simply install the Donnie cap and give the pump a few pulls........voila....all of the air has been removed and the pop stays fresh longer....

Okay, I think I know the problem. First, you don't want to remove the air. removing the air would make the pop go flat faster as the carbon dioxide would come out of the pop to fill the vacuum even faster and leave your pop flatter. What you want to do is pressurize the container so the CO-2 stays in the pop. The "old wives tale" of squashing the bottle to keep the fizz in is a myth. Leave the bottle un-squashed and seal the cap tightly for the longest lasting fizz.

If you feel the need to invent something invent a cap with a presurizing device.

Donnie Raines
11-10-2004, 12:54 PM
hmmmmm.....I thought it was the exposure to air that made it go flat....I guess I :rolleyes: :D need to re-think this entire process....

Ted Shrader
11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Donnie -

The exposure to the air makes wine turn. Hence, there already is a vacuum pump with special rubber corks availble to put a vacuum on wine bottles. Sorry.... :(

You would need pressure to keep the CO<sub>2</sub> in solution longer in the soda.

Regards,
Ted

Tyler Howell
11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Sailors Rules!

Any bottle on the table has to be finished. Case of scotch?? Case of empty soldiers!
You just have to work harder at doing your sailors duties.:p

Michael Stafford
11-10-2004, 1:07 PM
Interestingly enough, soda in an unopened plastic bottle will go flat. All plastic food packaging materials have an OTR and a WVTR, oxygen transmission rate and water vapor transmission rate. These measure the speed at which oxygen and water vapor pass through a semi-rigid or flexible packaging material. Since the soda has CO2 under pressure and that is an abnormal state it tries to equilibrate with the outside atmosphere by pulling O2 into the bottle. Voila, stale soda in an unopened bottle. Problem was never much of a concern in the old glass bottles and cans. Companies have tried to compensate by putting extra CO2 in at packaging. Has helped some. They are not likely to change for a variety of reasons.

Donnie Raines
11-10-2004, 1:10 PM
Ok,Ok.....my bubble is being busted!!!..... :p

Check out the link below.....while not important it is rather interesting...I think.... :rolleyes:

http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/article.jsp?id=lw833

Dennis Peacock
11-10-2004, 2:10 PM
WE have a couple of those pump valve thingies for soda bottles. Screw it on, pump it up and let it sit......then the soda goes flat. Remove the pump thingies and toss in trashcan. Learn to drink soda FASTER. :p :D

Steve Jenkins
11-10-2004, 2:14 PM
OK Donnie I'll give you the basic design to get rich but I want a commish. mill a thicker metal cap that will screw onto the bottle that has a screw in small valve on the side. Make the cap so you can screw in a co2 cartridge into the top and have it puncture on the way in. Now all you have to do is put the new cap on, open the valve to slightly pressurize the bottle, close the valve and bingo it's good almost indefinately.

Jim Becker
11-10-2004, 2:38 PM
The exposure to the air makes wine turn. Hence, there already is a vacuum pump with special rubber corks availble to put a vacuum on wine bottles. Exactly what I use for my open wine bottles since I can't finish them in one sitting. (Dr SWMBO drinks white and I usually do red) But for soda/pop (depending on where you grew up!), you have to keep the air in as Ted says! The problem is that it's nearly impossible to make a total seal on a flexible plastic bottle. The best solution is just like with glue...buy in smaller containers. The upfront cost is a little more, but you waste less and lower your real cost. IMHO, of course. (Or stop drinking that stuff...)

Andy Henriksen
11-10-2004, 2:39 PM
Right on, steve. You need to add CO2 to keep it from going flat. A little device that utilizes the 3" long CO2 cartridges, as used for airguns, would be the way to go. I'd guess, though that you could charge up several half used 2 liters with one of those, so a unit with an on/off to save what's left in the canister till the next bottle would be a conservative way to go.

I brew beer from time to time and have a few 5 gallon "cornileus kegs" (what fountain pop used to come in) that I will put the beer in. Then you apply co2, shake it all around and get it at the right pressure, and you can have carbonated beer in just a few minutes. However, even when I do that, I first fill the canister up with c02 first to displace any ambient air, so that ONLY beer and CO2 in the keg and no other air (N2, O2, H, etc). Other air is the enemy of carbonated beverages.

maybe some sorta cap with a pourer/co2 canister, that, as you pour automatically shoots co2 in the bottle, keeping "regular air" out. OMG, I've thought about this way too much already. Oh, I knwo - how about just buying cans?

Carl Eyman
11-10-2004, 2:53 PM
If beer can be served on tap, why can't soda? Well, it is in a way at every fast food joint. But what about a 3 liter bottle in your refrig with a tap on the door. Powered, perhaps, by a co2 bottle.

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 3:03 PM
I put in my time a Taco Bell during high school. We would always get shipments of the syrup for the soda (nasty, sticky, stuff...so much sugar...wow) but rare was it that the large canister of CO2 needed changing out. They would then get mixed right at the station.

LOL...just what we all need, a pop dispensor in our homes like that have at the fast food places!

Michael Stafford
11-10-2004, 3:12 PM
I'm with Dennis, drink it before it goes flat. I have found that soda mixed with the appropriate adult beverage is the way to end a long evening in the shop. ;) Just don't mix adult beverages and power tools. :eek:

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 3:21 PM
Can you mix the adult beverage with power tools??? ;)

Jim Stastny
11-10-2004, 9:30 PM
Ok,Ok.....my bubble is being busted!!!..... :p

Check out the link below.....while not important it is rather interesting...I think.... :rolleyes:

http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/article.jsp?id=lw833
What I found interesting at the newscientist site was the answer to this question (found in the right hand column): Why cream forms 'doughnuts' in Tia Maria? Looks like an worthwile experiment :D

Christopher Pine
11-10-2004, 9:43 PM

I remember as a child... before plastic or even aluminum cans... we had returnable glass bottles and they sold and item similar to what you want. it has two wing like handles for you pointer finget and your middle finger to wrap around then a rubber bulb to push with your thumb.. this would elongate the rubber stopper mechanism that would fit into the bottle. when inserted into the bottle you released your thumb and it sealed the bottle. Hmmmm? maybe a comeback is in order.... :)

Tyler Howell
11-11-2004, 9:05 AM
Can you mix the adult beverage with power tools??? ;)Why Chris you asked the right guy!
Called the Boat Blender. min. 12v VSD.
Works ........ Fair and not fast enough for a bunch of thirsty sailors:(