PDA

View Full Version : Alder panels

Gene Crain
03-31-2010, 9:42 AM
21"x78"x1.75" panels. Carving .625 deep with .25" ballnose. left panel shows rough pass 1:32 hrs right panel shows finish pass 9:45 hrs. That old pr-t may be a little slow but she can still make the chips!

Thanks for looking!

Soon to be yellow next to the blue! :eek:

Gene Crain

Bryan Cowan
03-31-2010, 9:47 AM
That's incredible. Nice work!

Michael Schwartz
03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Beautiful work. Was that done in Aspire?

Bob Savage
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Awesome work!!! How did you approach this from a design perspective and what CAD software are you using? I'm curious what components you bought as models and what you created, and how.

My first guess would be the ornamental objects were models and you used 2 rail sweeps, etc. for the framework?

Gene Crain
03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Awesome work!!! How did you approach this from a design perspective and what CAD software are you using? I'm curious what components you bought as models and what you created, and how.

My first guess would be the ornamental objects were models and you used 2 rail sweeps, etc. for the framework?

Bob,

I had James Booth model this for us as we do not have Aspire YET, Alibre is also in the near future!

Bob Savage
03-31-2010, 1:01 PM
Bob,

I had James Booth model this for us as we do not have Aspire YET, Alibre is also in the near future!

Well shoot... I'm one of those wishful thinkers and was hoping you would say something like "I bought the models for $12.99 and spent 15 minutes slapping it together." :D

Edit: I hadn't heard of Alibre... now you've got me drooling over software. I love Aspire, but Alibre looks very nice for the price!

George Brown
03-31-2010, 5:17 PM
Absolutely beautiful work Gene!!

But that is almost 11 hours of cutting. How can you charge enough for that many hours of work?

Jerome Stanek
03-31-2010, 6:00 PM
Absolutely beautiful work Gene!!

But that is almost 11 hours of cutting. How can you charge enough for that many hours of work?

How can you not charge for a custom piece like that. Let the customer try to find someone to hand carve it more than 11 hours of time.

George Brown
03-31-2010, 6:42 PM
How can you not charge for a custom piece like that. Let the customer try to find someone to hand carve it more than 11 hours of time.

I'm not saying it is not worth it, but how do you get a customer that is willing to pay what it is worth?

Gene Crain
03-31-2010, 9:18 PM
I'm not saying it is not worth it, but how do you get a customer that is willing to pay what it is worth?

...well I met with a builder and the owner of a 25K ( 25 thousand...geez) sq ft home being built in a very high end development here in San Jose. Querencia (google it) and they asked me if I could do.....something like this( photo shown)... so I said...when do you need it! :D

Gene

james mcgrew
04-01-2010, 7:43 AM
the idea is to sell them on the signature value of the part in relation to how they feel when they enter the room,

"sir my goal and what i consider my responsibility is this " when ever you enter this room and sit down my goal is that you will say to yourself "man am i glad i did this", no mater what it takes to get there.

remember this room id yours and you are going to look at it for a long time, will it feel temporary or permanant?"

thank you mister homeowner for letting me be a part of your home !!

jim mcgrew