PDA

View Full Version : Angelique

Stewart Crick
11-10-2004, 12:08 PM
I just fell into some free Angelique (SP?) (Pronounced Ann-cha-leek) wood scraps. I can't seem to find anything about it. The guy I'm getting it from said it has a high silicone content, it's similiar to teak, and being used to build the hull of the Schooner Virgina currently being rebuilt.

Does anybody know anything about this wood. Sounds like it's hard to work. Any thoughts on uses, furniture, turning?

Dave Richards
11-10-2004, 1:06 PM
It's not silicone but silica that you'll find in it. In that regard it is similar to teak. Hard on edged tools. I imagine you could do something nice with it but your cutters/blades will need sharpening during and after. Maybe there's enough to do the keel for a boat?

Steve Cox
11-10-2004, 7:04 PM
Hard as a rock, smells like cat urine when cutting, 40 lin ft through a bandsaw means you need a new blade. I've used it for keels and stems for boatbuilding but that's the only place I've seen it used.

Stewart Crick
11-11-2004, 2:07 PM
Thanks for the info Steve & Dave. Wasn't able to pull much on Google or dogpile. The only references I'm seeing is in the boat building industry. May try and turn some and see what happens....

Stu