PDA

View Full Version : Coloured Dust in white letters of Rowmark

Barb Macdonald
03-31-2010, 8:57 AM
As the title suggests. How do you get it off?
I've seen a thread about it before, cannot find it. duh.
Any brilliant ideas?
My suckage is at maximum, my machine is clean.
2" letters, which I know are kinda big.

merci, trés beaucoup:)

Scott Shepherd
03-31-2010, 9:11 AM
I don't know about all that mercy bucout's and stuff, but a product I have been using for a while now that works excellent is called "Rapid Remover". It's an adhesive remover used in vinyl lettering/work.

They also make Rapid Tac, and Rapid Prep. If you use the Remover, the Rapid Tac is the neutralizer for it. So you can wipe it clean, then wipe it with rapid tac and it's good to go. You don't have to use the rapid tac, but if left on or wiped too hard, it will begin to take the color off the surface.

But it's wonderful stuff. I use it daily for sticky edges on plastic. It makes them not sticky.

Any sign supply store will carry it.

Viktor Voroncov
03-31-2010, 9:42 AM
Engrave from bottom to top
or
Engrave two pass

or do like Scott said.

Barb Macdonald
03-31-2010, 9:45 AM
I do bottom up, and I don't need two passes. The sign is lovely until I go to wipe it off.
So, I've stopped wiping. But I know the dust will get back into the white, and smudge it up.
I've just ordered some rapid remover for another app.
We'll see if it helps.
Thanks, y'all!

Viktor Voroncov
03-31-2010, 9:47 AM
Try also 3M Citrus Cleaner - work extremely well, but cost $$$ :(

Mike Null
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Barb

I take the engraved signs etc to a sink and wash them with soap and water and brush. Get them wet first to keep the engraving residue in suspension then use a medium bristle brush to clean. Do not use a rag or sponge.

You'll still have to buff them but the residue will be gone and can't color the white area.

Barb Macdonald
03-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Sounds way too much like housework to me:)
Sinks, water, cleaning, brushes.
blech.

Thanks, Mike, I knew it was an option, I just wanted to ignore it.

David Harvey
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Barb,
I don't use Rowmark, but I use IPI...pretty much the same thing. I had the same problem and solved it by simply 'turning off the air assist'. Without the air assist there is virtually 'no' clean up required.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Etch from the bottom up with the air assist off. Use DNA to wipe clean and use a good quality pencil eraser for any additional residue.

Greg Bednar
03-31-2010, 2:26 PM
Etch from the bottom up with the air assist off. Use DNA to wipe clean and use a good quality pencil eraser for any additional residue.

What Chris said minus the pencil eraser, and I use WD40 instead of DNA.

John Noell
03-31-2010, 2:38 PM
Etching is not my problem but cutting out the etched piece is. Esp on colours like red, I find a 2nd quick bottom-up raster does wonders.

Ron Chapellaz
03-31-2010, 3:57 PM
When I have problem colors such as red/white letters I use magic eraser. Works very well and is quick to use, then I rinse under the tap.

Joe Pelonio
03-31-2010, 5:30 PM
It does sound like some people are going to way too much trouble. I use Sprayway Glass Cleaner (from Costco) prior to engraving, polish dry. I have never had any color transfer onto the white letters after doing that.

I discovered this because I had several cans, using it for cleaning vehicles before applying vinyl lettering (contains no ammonia) and wanted something to get rid of the dull image of the Rowmark logos left by the protective film.

i agree with the Rapid Remover Scott mentioned, especially for cleaning the edges after cutting, but this stuff is WAY cheaper.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-31-2010, 7:29 PM
I have had a few times when I cleaned rowmark with DNA or WD-40 and managed to get colored dust into the white area. No matter what I did to scrub and clean it out, it had settled in. Then I tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. That removed all the residue in the white engraved area.

Ron Chapellaz
03-31-2010, 7:38 PM
I have had a few times when I cleaned rowmark with DNA or WD-40 and managed to get colored dust into the white area. No matter what I did to scrub and clean it out, it had settled in. Then I tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. That removed all the residue in the white engraved area.

It is awesome stuff isn't Mike! Works like a charm for me.

Greg Bednar
03-31-2010, 7:41 PM
Ron and Mike, thanks for the magic eraser tip. It works great.

Eric Seest
03-31-2010, 10:41 PM
I started using the magic eraser a couple of weeks ago and it works great. Another thing I started to do that is making clean up easier is cutting the piece out before engraving.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
04-08-2010, 9:29 PM
Was that the Mr Clean Spray or the scourer?

Cheers Ian

Ron Chapellaz
04-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Not sure if I can post this, but here is a photo to help you out. It looks like a sponge.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
04-09-2010, 7:03 AM
Thanks Ron,

That really cleans the white lettering when the red blends into it? Do you add any cleaning fluid?

I have to do two passes to clean when I engrave Rowmark red with white lettering...I did a load of blue today and one pass worked fine. If I could find away to only do one pass with Red I'd be happy.

Cheers Ian

Ron Chapellaz
04-09-2010, 9:51 AM
Ian, I am able to do this with one pass with the engraver. Make sure to engrave from the bottom up as this greatly reduces the contamination into the engraved areas. Then use the magic eraser and rinse under the tap. I don't use any cleaning fluids, just the eraser. Give it a go and you'll see how well it works...

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-09-2010, 9:43 PM
That really cleans the white lettering when the red blends into it? Do you add any cleaning fluid?

I dip the Magic Eraser in water, wring out the excess water and then wipe. When the Magic Eraser becomes too dirty, I dip it in water and it cleans itself.

Zlatko Kursar
04-10-2010, 2:30 AM
Hello,

try engraving with beam out of focus (2-3 steps down). This working for me.

Justin Harrington
04-10-2010, 6:56 AM
I engrave from the bottom up and then apply application tape to the whole piece before doing any vector cutting. If you apply the tape without wiping the work piece then any reisdue dust simply sticks to the tape when you remove it. This way you have nice clean cut edges without reisdue marks, the work piece is protected when you have to do alot of plaques and you're packing then one on top of another for transportation and the customer gets a nice suprise when they peal off the tape.:D

David Dustin
04-10-2010, 8:55 PM
We used the Mr. Clean Eraser too, It worked great!

Thanks guys (and gals)..

David

collin diefenbacher
04-18-2010, 9:36 AM
Hello
I use alchol wipes for tape recorded head cleaners,seems to work really well

Giri Podichetty
04-19-2010, 3:09 PM
I found plain tootpaste quite effective (and cheap).It's mild abrasive shifted the color blow over from etching and cutting with white on red Rowmark I was using to make name tags.

Stratos Gregoras
04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
You can also check if the lens (close to the engraved material) is well fixed. If the screws are loose it results in heavy banding.