PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying the Garmin Nuvi 255W-anyone have any experience with ?

dennis thompson
03-31-2010, 7:01 AM
My daughter is thinking about buying the Garmin nuvi 255w GPS, anyone have any experience with this one? It's $100 at Amazon & fits into her budget
Thanks
Dennis

Myk Rian
03-31-2010, 7:21 AM
Nice unit and price. Go to www.poi-factory.com for all kinds of tips on using it.

David G Baker
03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I have had mine for a while and it has served me well. Once the basics are learned it is a snap. Took a trip from Michigan to Georgia and back over Christmas with no problems. $100 is a good price, I paid around $130 for mine at Sam's Club.

Joe Leigh
03-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Great unit for the price. We've got two.

Art Mulder
03-31-2010, 1:04 PM
For $30 more she can get the 265wt (Refurb)... I bought the 265wt last fall and I rather like the free integrated traffic warnings.

Alan Trout
03-31-2010, 1:14 PM
I have the 265WT pretty dang good unit.

Alan

Phyllis Meyer
03-31-2010, 3:17 PM
Our Daughters got this for us for Christmas and it is the coolest thing since chocolate! We are not lost anymore!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Bryan Morgan
03-31-2010, 3:45 PM
For $30 more she can get the 265wt (Refurb)... I bought the 265wt last fall and I rather like the free integrated traffic warnings.

My wife uses the non-wide version of that in her car. Works great and even has NASCAR tracks programmed into it as POIs. The real time traffic function is very nice. Honestly though I like my Navigon a little better. Has all the same features plus a feature that graphically shows you which lane you need to be in. Very handy on confusing So. Cal. freeways.

Matt Meiser
03-31-2010, 10:08 PM
That's what we've got. I love it even when I know where I'm going on longer drives because it shows me where I'm at and estimates my arrival time at my destination. Pretty accurate too. Today it told me I'd arrive home at 4:57 when I was in Columbus. Got home at 4:57.

Eric Roberge
03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
My friend just bought one over the weekend and loves it.

Ted Shrader
04-01-2010, 5:27 PM
I have the 265WT pretty dang good unit.

For $30 more she can get the 265wt (Refurb)... I bought the 265wt last fall and I rather like the free integrated traffic warnings.Another vote for the 265WT. The "T" part (Traffic) is really great and has saved some significant time for us with its timely notification and re-routing. Rather than getting stuck in traffic and then trying to find an exit, it re-routs you early enough to avoid congestion.

The traffic notification works on a "silent" FM channel and is free. However, the Traffic notification only covers certain areas of the country, so check where she will be using it for the Traffic part.

Ted

Al Willits
04-02-2010, 8:45 AM
We've got two of the 255 and they work fine, neither will show our house but they'll show the neighbors and we can usually find our way home from their house...:)

I was told a tip, do not use your home address as base, if someone steals your car with the keys in it, they will now know where you live.

We now use the fire station a few blocks away as a home setting.

Worth the money?
Ya I think so.

Al

Curt Harms
04-02-2010, 9:34 AM
Our Daughters got this for us for Christmas and it is the coolest thing since chocolate! We are not lost anymore!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Now THAT is an endorsement!!!!

:D:D:D:D

Curt Harms
04-02-2010, 9:56 AM
We've got two of the 255 and they work fine, neither will show our house but they'll show the neighbors and we can usually find our way home from their house...:)

I was told a tip, do not use your home address as base, if someone steals your car with the keys in it, they will now know where you live.

We now use the fire station a few blocks away as a home setting.

Worth the money?
Ya I think so.

Al

Do you keep your registration in your car? If so, they don't need the GPS to get your home address, except GPS makes it quicker to find. Having said that, my "home" address in my GPS is not my home address. Mine is far enough away that the garage door opener wouldn't work. Neat idea about the fire station. How about using the nearest Cop Shop instead?:)

Al Willits
04-02-2010, 9:01 PM
Do you keep your registration in your car? If so, they don't need the GPS to get your home address, except GPS makes it quicker to find. Having said that, my "home" address in my GPS is not my home address. Mine is far enough away that the garage door opener wouldn't work. Neat idea about the fire station. How about using the nearest Cop Shop instead?:)

Good point on the registration, hadn't thought of that.

Cop shop would be better I agree...:D