PDA

View Full Version : Son's Mini Bat

Jon Lanier
03-31-2010, 1:44 AM
My 14 year old who has been turning pens for a couple years had an interesting class yesterday. The teacher brought in a Wood Bat and the discussion/questions started going toward how is a bat made?

Josh tended to have his hand up most of the time and was the only one who knew what the machine was called that makes them. He thinks the teacher was a little perplexed how he knew so much. First, he loves baseball and has been wanting to make his own bat (I only have a Rikon Midi, no extension). Two, he's being working a lathe for a couple years.

I told Josh I had some Hickory and the lathe is up... just not much else. "You wanna make him a mini-bat?", sure! So I cut off a blank of Hickory for him and he went at it. Now he's probably not even turned a pen for about 6 months. So, I was curious how it would go. He just Eye-Balled it as he went. 1 roughing gouge and 1 Lancer style skew and he came up with this.

He signed it to his teacher as a gift. (Oh, and Josh gets the be the first one with a finished project in the new shop.)

Norm Zax
03-31-2010, 2:08 AM
Way to go! The teacher's gonna be speachless for a second or two.

alex carey
03-31-2010, 2:22 AM
haha cool story and nice looking mini bat. A bat was one of the very first things I ever made in wood shop class. Sadly we weren't allowed to make bats because they are considered weapons so instead I made a "table leg".

John Keeton
03-31-2010, 7:27 AM
Neat idea on the gift, and Josh did a great job on the bat!

Charlie Reals
03-31-2010, 8:11 AM
haha cool story and nice looking mini bat. A bat was one of the very first things I ever made in wood shop class. Sadly we weren't allowed to make bats because they are considered weapons so instead I made a "table leg".

Alex, we called them tire thumpers lol.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2010, 8:41 AM
Great story Jon - thanks for sharing! Josh will make a very positvie impression when he presents his gift! Be sure to let him know he did come really nice work!

Nick Mastropietro
03-31-2010, 9:15 AM
I have a 4 year old nephew who is starting T Ball this spring and Josh has inspired me to turn a bat for him. I just hope mine comes out as good as yours Josh. Great looking bat - nice work. Dad - kudos to you for getting your son involved in a hobby you can share. Woodworking/turning is one I picked up later in life (55). Now my son is on his own and living out of state, I wish I would have started years ago so I could have shared this with him. Cherish the time.

Von Bickley
03-31-2010, 9:44 AM
Great looking baseball bat.

Check out this one......

http://customwoodcrafter.com/ballbat.htm

Jeff Fagen
03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Make sure It's gift wraped or he'll get expelled for carying a weapon.:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Great story and a great gift Jon.

Jon Lanier
04-01-2010, 8:59 AM
Thanks everyone. I shared your comments w/Josh. He is smiling big time.