PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Groz Planes - Who's First?

Dan Gill
11-10-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm waiting for someone to step up to the plate - buy and review one or more of the Rockler Groz planes. Enquiring minds want to know!

Tyler Howell
11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
No Thanks! What were they thinking??

Steve Beadle
11-10-2004, 12:21 PM
If price is any indication of quality, these must be nearly unusable. But I can't imagine Rockler would sell such a product. Therefore I, too, would like someone to do a review. They don't really tell you much about the design on the website, do they?

Dan Gill
11-10-2004, 1:13 PM
If price is any indication of quality, these must be nearly unusable. But I can't imagine Rockler would sell such a product.

That was my thought, too, Steve. We probably won't have to wait too long even if nobody steps up to this one. Someone in this group is BOUND to get one for Christmas. ;)

Maurice Ungaro
11-10-2004, 3:48 PM
Well guys, I don't have any of these Groz planes, BUT...I do have two Groz Bench Vises (Record copies), a set of Groz Engineer's Squares, and some Groz Calipers. Now, I'm not saying that I'm a Groz-only person, it's just that the products were very well made, and an excellent value. Having said that, I do own an Anant #5, and think that for $40, it is a wonderful bench plane. Seems to me that the Groz and Anant products are very on par. Looks like they are hold-overs from when the British Empire left India, and these production shops kept making the stuff just like when the Queen's own were there.

So, all I'm saying is that the Groz products I have are fine, and a good value, and that the Anant #5 I purchased is of equal value.

Now..let me tell you about the expensive bike parts I can't live without....

Maurice

Brad Olson
11-10-2004, 4:11 PM
From what I understand, Groz planes are slightly below the quality of Anant. With hand planes you get what you pay for. If you are looking for value from a new plane go with a Lee Valley plane. If you need a price break and don't mind fiddling with the plane go with an antique. Sargeant VBM planes usally go ultra cheap on eBay and I have a copule that make excellent users. Stanley are obviously the best choice, but sometime these get bid up pretty high on eBay. I got a Sargent #5 on eBay for $10 shipped that was in flawless condition and is one of my favorite antique users.

John Gregory
11-10-2004, 4:46 PM
Highland Hardware sells GROZ planes. Here is a link with some information.
http://www.highland-hardware.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=485

Note that Rockler prices is $3 -$5 more than Highland's

Jim Stastny
11-10-2004, 9:35 PM
Somebody must like the Groz planes. I just visited the Rockler site, and they "Oversold - until November 22."

Maurice Ungaro
11-11-2004, 8:38 AM
"If price is any indication of quality, these must be nearly unusable. But I can't imagine Rockler would sell such a product."

"Highland Hardware sells GROZ planes. Here is a link with some information."

Well....you know Highland Hardware sells junk without testing it!;)

....that's a joke, folks....

Maurice