PDA

View Full Version : Detla DP-350 belt replacement

Michael Dunn
03-30-2010, 9:25 PM
Hey guys,

I have a Delta Shopmaster DP-350 12" drill press. I wish to replace the stock belt with the twist belt that I am now so in love with. However, upon opening the housing I think this belt is not a 'V' belt. It has teeth in it. Part of me thinks the twist belts will work fine, but part of me also thinks that it will not work.

As I change speed the assembly appears to change the length of the belt. I think it is just an illusion. One side increases in diameter while the other decreases.

Does anyone have a machine with a similar assembly that has installed these power twist belts.?

I referred to my manual, but they do not even tell you how to change the belt let alone if this twist belt will work.

Thanx,

shotgunn

Myk Rian
03-30-2010, 9:37 PM
I considered using a twist belt in mine, but decided to leave well enough alone.
The length of the belt does not change, the diameters of the pulleys do.

To change the belt, take the top of the rear pulley off. Do it with the DP set for the highest speed. Remove the C clip on the top of the shaft. Be careful, the spring is under tension. Take the top of the pulley off, change the belt.

Now you have to replace the pulley half. Put the spring in a vise and squeeze it closed. Use a couple wire zip ties to keep it compressed. After you get it all put back together, cut the ties.

While you have it apart look at the split pin in the top half of the pulley. If it looks to be coming out, wrap a wire tie around it and tighten it.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132737

Michael Dunn
03-30-2010, 9:59 PM
Thanx for the swift response. I will try that soon and post my results.

I considered using a twist belt in mine, but decided to leave well enough alone.
The length of the belt does not change, the diameters of the pulleys do.

To change the belt, take the top of the rear pulley off. Do it with the DP set for the highest speed. Remove the C clip on the top of the shaft. Be careful, the spring is under tension. Take the top of the pulley off, change the belt.

Now you have to replace the pulley half. Put the spring in a vise and squeeze it closed. Use a couple wire zip ties to keep it compressed. After you get it all put back together, cut the ties.

While you have it apart look at the split pin in the top half of the pulley. If it looks to be coming out, wrap a wire tie around it and tighten it.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132737

Chip Lindley
03-31-2010, 2:49 AM
Michael, IMO, this is one of those things...If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it! You may or may not get that spring-tensioned split pulley back as it was before. The width of PowerTwist belts is usually wider than stock belts. That may affect your highest/lowest available speed.

If your DP is performing Okay with no vibration or slippage, leave it as-is! I have an old 50's Craftsman (King-Seely) variable-speed DP owned since 1971! I have never changed belts on it yet!

Michael Dunn
03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
I am actually getting quite a bit of vibration.

Michael, IMO, this is one of those things...If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it! You may or may not get that spring-tensioned split pulley back as it was before. The width of PowerTwist belts is usually wider than stock belts. That may affect your highest/lowest available speed.

If your DP is performing Okay with no vibration or slippage, leave it as-is! I have an old 50's Craftsman (King-Seely) variable-speed DP owned since 1971! I have never changed belts on it yet!

Myk Rian
03-31-2010, 1:08 PM
I am actually getting quite a bit of vibration.
If that's the case, look at the split pin I mentioned. They have a tendency to work loose.

Mike Levesque
02-16-2013, 6:10 PM
Myk, thanks an awful lot for this post. I know it is old, but it just helped me get out of a jam. The top half of the back pulley on my DP350 came off (horrible noise!). When I looked at it, I wasn't sure what the heck happened except to see that the roll pin had worked it self out. So I searched the internet and found your post here. I followed your instructions and put my DP back together. It works great now.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Myk Rian
02-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Glad it worked for you.