PDA

View Full Version : One step at a time

Nick Mastropietro
03-30-2010, 9:23 PM
Just finished the ballast box for my Jet 1642, she's packed with 250# of sand. Over the past day I have been designing the storage cabinet that will sit atop the ballast box. The measured drawings are done, just need to review the measurements once more before committing to the cuts. I'll post those pictures when it's done. Oh ya, I took a turning course for beginners at my local Woodcraft store last weekend, it went pretty well, we turned the "Sugar Scoop". At least now I don't feel so timid to put tool to wood. I have been collecting a few pieces of wood to turn once I'm done with the cabinet. I can't wait to get turning.

Gary Conklin
03-30-2010, 9:27 PM
Congrats! Looks like it will work out well, cant wait to see the storage!!

Chris Haas
03-30-2010, 9:36 PM
a good place to get free green wood is off of craigslist. every month there seems to be someone wanting a ton of good for turning wood removed it all really depends on your region. but thats where i get all my turning wood. good luck, looks like a great ballast box.

Mike McAfee
03-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Lookin good Nick!
I'll be interested in seeing your storage design as I'm staring at a large empty void under my 1624 that needs filling!

Steve Vaughan
03-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Looking good so far. And, you've got a point there...to get this all complete before you get to turning to much...I'm afraid for you my friend, cause once you get to turning, you ain't gonna stop to build cabinets :D !!! Get 'er done now while ya can!

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Looking good Nick.

Richard Madison
03-31-2010, 12:19 AM
You're doing flatwork when you could be turning?

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2010, 8:44 AM
Nick - looking good so far!

Chris Stolicky
03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Looks good so far. I am eager to see what you come up with and how someone else's ideas results in improvements, or more ingenuity, over the version I built for mine. It is always to good to the evolution of ideas around here.

Roger Bullock
03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Get ready to say Good Bye to ever seeing a clean shop floor again. Congrats, and happy turning.

Nick Mastropietro
03-31-2010, 1:47 PM
I found the thread where you posted some pictures of your 1642 and the storage you built for it. Do you find yourself placing tools on top of the cabinet when you’re turning? Does dust and shavings accumulate there? I really like the curtain. My lathe is placed in front of the garage door, so hanging curtains would be troublesome when I open the door. I was thinking of buying some inexpensive roman shades that can be drawn up. If anybody has solved this problem, let me see your solution. Thanks to those who have commented thus far. I truly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Chris Stolicky
04-05-2010, 3:14 PM
I found the thread where you posted some pictures of your 1642 and the storage you built for it. Do you find yourself placing tools on top of the cabinet when you’re turning? Does dust and shavings accumulate there? I really like the curtain. My lathe is placed in front of the garage door, so hanging curtains would be troublesome when I open the door. I was thinking of buying some inexpensive roman shades that can be drawn up. If anybody has solved this problem, let me see your solution. Thanks to those who have commented thus far. I truly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Sorry, been away from a computer a bit the past several days....

Yes, I find that the little area on top of the storage box works great for placing tools. It does fill up sometimes with shavings but I just push them on to the floor.

Anything you can put up to block flying shavings will help with your clean up.