PDA

View Full Version : Accent Table Finished

Nick Mastropietro
03-30-2010, 9:15 PM
Well I'm finally getting around to posting these pictures, I did finish this table a few weeks ago, just got caught up doing other things. I want to give a shout out to Scott Holmes for his advise on the use of Waterlox finish. This is my first piece of in the house furniture. Please feel free to comment, I'm certainly not opposed to constructive criticism and I know there is much room for improvement.

John Keeton
03-31-2010, 8:03 AM
Nick, it finished out very well! I have not used Waterlox, but it gets rave reviews. Apparently, it has a short shelf life, and I have always been hesitant to spend major bucks and have it go bad on me. You certainly have proven it is worth the money.

John Thompson
03-31-2010, 10:39 AM
My comment is I like it. You did a nice job on the throughs and I really like the way you gently curved the legs in. It appears the top of legs is slightly wider than the bottom with taper and there is a gentle curve on them also? Could be eye deception on my part but... I really like the look of those legs you created.

Well done...

Prashun Patel
03-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Wonderful. Not really a criticism, but something to maybe try next time: grain filling the top.

It takes some elbowgrease, but you can wetsand waterlox into the top with 220g to create a sanding slurry that you then squeegie or push with a cloth into the grain. Let dry, and repeat as necessary, working up to 400 or 600. Grain filling makes oak and walnut feel like silk. Some people begin @ 400 or 600, but it's hard to get much slurry for oak at the higher grits. You'll have to watch the piece for a few hrs after, since the wet varnish that goes down into the grain of oak will want to bleed and bead.

On a larger piece, it might be more trouble than it's worth, but on beautiful little piece like this, it might be perfect.

FWIW, you can STILL do it if you wish. Um, I'm assuming you didn't color it, right???

Van Huskey
04-01-2010, 1:06 AM
That is a really neat table, interesting but pleasing proportions