PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Compressor - Nail Gun Q?

steve gard
03-30-2010, 8:36 PM
I have a Porter Cable 3 gun set, and have been thinking about buying a framing nailer, will the small pancake compressor that I have power a framing nailer?

Charlie Knauer
03-30-2010, 9:36 PM
I have a Porter Cable 3 gun set, and have been thinking about buying a framing nailer, will the small pancake compressor that I have power a framing nailer?

Steve, if this isnt being used for production it wont be a problem. I bought a pancake a few years back and used my framing nailer to renail some underlayment at a school. It worked fine. I am currently using it for some decks I am building. It runs quite a bit but has held up fine.

Charlie

Andrew Nemeth
03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
A pancake will work fine for most applications. The only time I ever get ahead of my PC pancake with my PC framing nailer is when I am nailing off sheeting. I usually tack each sheet by hand then nail off several sheets with a gun. On occasion I have to stop to get the pressure back up so the nails set properly. For regular framing applications it keeps up just fine.

Glen Butler
03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I would say anything that will supply 125 psi will power a nail gun. It is more a question of how many nails you want to shoot per minute or second.

Scott T Smith
03-31-2010, 4:34 AM
What the others said.

I'm using two PC pancake compressors here on the farm, primarily to run nailguns on outbuilding construction projects. If you need some extra capacity, plumb in an auxilliary air tank to provide you with increased storage. There are other threads here on SMC about doing this.

Rich Engelhardt
03-31-2010, 7:06 AM
I use an Ingersoll Rand 2hp , 4 gallon "twin hot dog" to run my Bostitch F28WW w/out any issues whatsoever.

The IR has a bit less output than the PC "pancake".

Eric Roberge
03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
I have the PC pancake also and use a Bostitch clipped head framing nailer going on 2+ years now with no problems. As others have said, if your not using it in a production shop, you'll be fine.