PDA

View Full Version : Drill Chuck (for Lathe) Questions

James Farrow
11-10-2004, 11:38 AM
I am looking at getting this Drill Chuck for my Jet Mini tailstock (#2 MT):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/JamesDFarrow/DrillChuck.bmp

"One of the handiest lathe accessories you can have, this drill chuck can be used for both turning and drilling applications.

To use in the headstock as a turning chuck, you first turn a spigot on the piece and then put the spigot in the chuck. For drilling, it can be used in either the headstock or tailstock.

The 1/2" three-jaw chuck is available with either a #1 or #2 Morse taper (MT) adapter (drilled and tapped for a 1/4-20 restraining rod, not included)"
------------------

So, here are my questions. Will 1/4" shank Spade bits fit in this chuck?

And what is the "restraining rod" they are referring to? I checked my Jet mini parts list and cannot find any part in the tailstock called a restraining rod.

I just want to make sure before I buy anything that might be a waste of money.

Thanks,

James :)

Lloyd Frisbee
11-10-2004, 11:46 AM
I got one at Harbor Freight for $9.99 I believe. The restraining rod is screwed into the back of the taper through the headstock to keep it in. Without one, the taper will eventually fall out. When used in the tailstock you don't need the restraining rod. The rod is just a long piece of threaded stock with a nut on the outboard side.

James Farrow
11-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks!

Will it take the 1/4" shank bits?

Harry Pye
11-10-2004, 12:22 PM
It will easily take 1/4" bits. I had an #55 bit (.052") in my chuck this morning. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using spade bits. When I drill larger holes on my Delta Midi I use Forsnter bits.

James Farrow
11-10-2004, 1:17 PM
Thanks!

I was looking at the Forstner bits at the place I get my stuff but they
(for up to 1") are only 3 1/2" long, and (for 1 1/8" to 2") only 5" long.

I need more that that.

Andy London
11-10-2004, 1:23 PM
James, I bought mine from Craft Supplies as I wanted a Keyless chuck, I would also encourage you to buy a 1/2" as most of the forstner bits up here in Canada seem to be 1/2" drive, at least the ones I use and having a keyless chuck is so much easier....especially on the lathe....IMO

Andy

Carl Eyman
11-10-2004, 1:47 PM
James, you can get extensions for Forstner bits. They have a socket with a couple of set screws to grab the shank.

George Tokarev
11-10-2004, 2:10 PM
Here's what I've been using for three years or so. They're right about the quality, but I sharpen them periodically with my chainsaw file, and they've done well. They guide on their edges much as a Forstner, but with considerably greater depth from the getgo.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=42261&category=1,180,42240&ccurrency=1&SID=

Appears you know the place, so put them together for one shipping cost.

James Farrow
11-10-2004, 2:16 PM
Thanks!

Those Brad-Point look like the fit the bill.

James Farrow
11-10-2004, 3:28 PM
I just thought of something. I can't use those Brad-Point. They are to long. My Jet Mini only has 14" clearance between points.

So will go with the Forstner ones.

Thanks again for everyones help.