PDA

View Full Version : The Last supper

Sheryl Haley
03-30-2010, 6:12 PM
I just did The Last Supper on a piece of mediocre wood to see if it would turn out. I think I'll try it on nicer wood next time. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Sheryl Haley

Dee Gallo
03-30-2010, 6:37 PM
Sheryl, that is wonderful! Did you do the frame and all? What is the size? I think the wood has a nice vintage feel which enhances the overall effect.

:) dee

Sheryl Haley
03-30-2010, 6:50 PM
Sheryl, that is wonderful! Did you do the frame and all? What is the size? I think the wood has a nice vintage feel which enhances the overall effect.

Thank You !!! It measures 30x18 and Yes, I did the frame too.

Digital Scrapbooking has png files with alot of different frames that I sometimes use in my work.

It's funny , this was only going to be a trial one and then I was going to get a nicer piece of wood as a gift for my Dad.

Sheryl

Steve Clarkson
03-30-2010, 7:01 PM
Sheryl,

That's beautiful!!!!! Where did you get such a good image of the Last Supper? I have been looking for one for quite some time. I would be indebted to you forever if you would share that one!

Tim Bateson
03-30-2010, 7:23 PM
Great job!

That was the first thing I ever lasered - on a piece of paper. Hold it up to the light & you could see the micro perforations.

However, my image was no were near the level of yours. I'm with Steve, where did you find such a clean copy of this image & are you willing to share it?

Sheryl Haley
03-30-2010, 7:32 PM
I found the image on this site:
http://freechristimages.org/biblestories/last_supper.htm

There are two different versions Enhance and Restored. I used the restored version.

For the frame I used a png image from a digital scrapbooking site that I subscribe to and adusted it to fit. If anyone would like it I cam PM them.

Sheryl

Dave Johnson29
03-30-2010, 7:35 PM
Er, Tim, Steve,

Not to put too fine a point on it but Sheryl, in her second post said "Digital Scrapbooking," and PNG files. :D:D

Sandy Henry
03-30-2010, 8:37 PM
Sherly, I love your "test shot". Went to link but cannot get the image saved. Computer acts like it saves it but I cannot open or import it? I enlarged it, right clicked, and saved. Any suggestions? Thanks, Sandy

Dave Johnson29
03-30-2010, 8:52 PM
Computer acts like it saves it but I cannot open or import it?

Hi Sandy,

If you left click on the image it should open in a new tab. Then right click and select "Save picture as"

Open Corel and import. It worked for me in both Firefox and IE7 using Corel v10.

Can you see the file name when you open the Import dialog in Corel?

Bill Cunningham
03-30-2010, 9:06 PM
Oh..gad.. That's a much better picture than the one
I planned to give out this Easter (http://www.allfoamnobeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/easter.jpg)

Sandy Henry
03-30-2010, 9:12 PM
Thanks Dave, I tried again. When I "save picture as" it offers file type "art" or "bmp"
I tried both. Open Corel X3, new page, import, I highlight the saved file, click on import button & the highlight dims & nothing happens.

Dee Gallo
03-31-2010, 6:49 AM
Sandy,

I just dragged the image from the site onto my desktop and it was there, no problem. Try that!

and Bill: eeeew!

Frank Corker
03-31-2010, 6:50 AM
Oh..gad.. That's a much better picture than the one
I planned to give out this Easter (http://www.allfoamnobeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/easter.jpg)

lol, Bill you just can't help yourself can you?

Mike Null
03-31-2010, 8:28 AM
Sheryl

Excellent work!

Try cowhide as a substrate then frame it.

I use paste floor wax on the leather before I engrave it so it is easier to clean up engraving residue then I recoat it with wax and buff it.

Dan Hintz
03-31-2010, 9:21 AM
in her second post said "Digital Scrapbooking," and PNG files. :D:D
Man, I Googled "Digital Scrapbooking" and came up with a boatload of sites... the actual .com site with that same name was a paid subscription site. I'm willing to tuck tail between legs if you can point me to the correct site...

Sheryl Haley
03-31-2010, 9:22 AM
Sheryl

Excellent work!

Try cowhide as a substrate then frame it.

I use paste floor wax on the leather before I engrave it so it is easier to clean up engraving residue then I recoat it with wax and buff it.

Mike,
That's a great idea !!! Thank You. I will give it a try

Sheryl

Sheryl Haley
03-31-2010, 9:28 AM
Man, I Googled "Digital Scrapbooking" and came up with a boatload of sites... the actual .com site with that same name was a paid subscription site. I'm willing to tuck tail between legs if you can point me to the correct site...

Dan,
I didn't mention the name of the actual site, because I didn't want to get in trouble. You have to pay to subcribe. I can pm you with the actual site, or if it's not a problem I can post the real name of it.

I try my best to abide by the forum rules, but unknowingly at times I have messed up. Can someone let me know if its ok?

Sheryl

Mike Null
03-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Sheryl

You can post the name of the site.

Sheryl Haley
03-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Sheryl

You can post the name of the site.

Thanks, Mike
Heres the site: http://www.mangelsdesigns.com/

Sheryl

Dan Hintz
03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm impressed by that site's subscription. Not only is it really cheap ($20), but you pay it once and only once, not every month/year.

Mike Null
03-31-2010, 12:19 PM
It would be wise to read the "commercial use" explanation. The cost for that is $149.

Sandy Henry
03-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Sandy,

If you left click on the image it should open in a new tab. Then right click and select "Save picture as"

Open Corel and import. It worked for me in both Firefox and IE7 using Corel v10.

Can you see the file name when you open the Import dialog in Corel?

Got out of AOL & used I-net explorer & everything worked as expected! Don't know whats up with that but its all good! Thanks, Sandy

Don Necaise
03-31-2010, 12:45 PM
This is scary. I logged on to see if anyone knew where I could get this picture and it is the first post . Huh

Steve Clarkson
03-31-2010, 3:43 PM
I found the image on this site:
http://freechristimages.org/biblestories/last_supper.htm

There are two different versions Enhance and Restored. I used the restored version.

For the frame I used a png image from a digital scrapbooking site that I subscribe to and adusted it to fit. If anyone would like it I cam PM them.

Sheryl

Thank you! That site is a treasure trove!

Bryan Cowan
03-31-2010, 4:22 PM
This is scary. I logged on to see if anyone knew where I could get this picture and it is the first post . Huh

'tis the Season! :D

George Brown
03-31-2010, 5:42 PM
Sheryl, all I can say is WOW!!!

Richard Rumancik
03-31-2010, 6:14 PM
Sheryl,
Can you tell me the dimensions at which you lasered the actual Last Supper Image (w/o the frame)? Also what dpi setting did you use? The file you used is a jpg with a size about 1 MB, is that correct?

Albert Nix
03-31-2010, 7:30 PM
Great find Sheryl Thanks!! I have been looking for a good image also. I did one on black granite but it was not that nice.

Sheryl Haley
04-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Sheryl,
Can you tell me the dimensions at which you lasered the actual Last Supper Image (w/o the frame)? Also what dpi setting did you use? The file you used is a jpg with a size about 1 MB, is that correct?

Richard,
I lasered the Last Supper image at 300dpi using the Birch setting in Photograv. When I saved the image off the site, I saved it as a Bitmap and lasered it at 100% dimensions(w/o frame) which are 19.841 x 9.374

Sheryl

Jeff Belany
04-01-2010, 1:08 PM
Here is another Last Supper that I have used many times. It is a little dark so I prefer to laser on a lighter wood such as Maple or Beech. A little different but always sold pretty well.

This is the first time I tried an attachment, hope it works.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Richard Rumancik
04-01-2010, 3:26 PM
Okay, that's why I was confused as to whether I had the correct file. I have downloaded The_Last_Supper_Restored_Da_Vinci.jpg. When I look at in PhotoPaint I get a resolution of 300 dpi and a size of 6.35" x 3.00" (1905 x 900 px). Your quality looks good in the image you provided so I could not understand how you were able to plot it at 19.941" x 9.374", unless you reduced the resolution. What am I missing?

Bill Cunningham
04-01-2010, 9:04 PM
Okay, that's why I was confused as to whether I had the correct file. I have downloaded The_Last_Supper_Restored_Da_Vinci.jpg. When I look at in PhotoPaint I get a resolution of 300 dpi and a size of 6.35" x 3.00" (1905 x 900 px). Your quality looks good in the image you provided so I could not understand how you were able to plot it at 19.941" x 9.374", unless you reduced the resolution. What am I missing?

Your not missing anything Richard.. Just re-sample it to what ever size you need.. Granted, it will gain some fuzz but photograv has a tendency to sharpen it up.. Here it is blown up to 12.5 inches wide, processed through P.G. cherry setting (on the old PG) and engraved at 600 dpi into a scrap chunk of 1/4" sanded plywood, with a couple of coats of lacquer.. 40sp 100 power

Tim Bateson
04-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Do I need to get on my soap box again about PhotoGrav/PhotoWaste? :p

Frank Corker
04-02-2010, 8:02 AM
Do I need to get on my soap box again about PhotoGrav/PhotoWaste? :p

Only if you really have to Tim, only if you really have to.... (sigh)

Dan Hintz
04-03-2010, 4:37 PM
For those who don't like/use PG (i.e., me), a program or plug-in specifically designed to enlarge images is ideal for these cases.

Chuck Stone
04-03-2010, 8:07 PM
Enlarge? I needed to shrink :p

Dee Gallo
04-03-2010, 9:17 PM
Enlarge? I needed to shrink :p

WICKED! You amaze me, Chuck!