PDA

View Full Version : slow speed grinder

Patrick Ely
03-30-2010, 3:38 PM
Does anyone know if woodcraft is still offering their slow speed grinder? My current grinder is on the way out and I was looking on their website but can only find it offered in their "sharpening kit? am I just missing something?

Ian Parish
03-30-2010, 4:16 PM
The Salt Lake City (Sandy) Utah store does not have it any more. They said they are having a really hard time getting them from china, so they found a variable speed one from Delta to replace it. Which is about twice the price of the big slow speed grinder when it was on sale for 79.99.

I kept thinking I should get one, and now they are gone I want what I can't have. Hehe.

Ian

Scott Lux
03-30-2010, 4:58 PM
Harbor Freight has a 10" grinder (1750 RPM) for $60. The wheels are probably junk and the grinder may be too. Their stuff is definitely hit and miss for quality.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6510

I don't have this one, and I'm not endorsing it, just passing along the info.

Stephan Larson
03-30-2010, 5:03 PM
Patrick,
Lowes has a somewhat of a slow speed grinder 2000 and 3200 but I did buy one and it works well in the short time that I have had it, and as I remember it was about a hundred.
Steve

Jim Slovik
03-30-2010, 5:51 PM
The last time I was in the WC in Madison, WI., they still had a few. That was about three weeks ago.

Roger Bullock
03-30-2010, 6:14 PM
St. Louis store is out and will not be getting any more in, I was told.

Patrick Ely
03-30-2010, 6:15 PM
Thats what I was afraid of. The wolverine system that comes with the sharpening system would be really nice and if that is the only way to get the slow speed grinder I am sure the LOML will understand! Does anyone have any experience with the 10 in HF grinder. How are the wheels? Bearings? It is awfully appealing for $60 + 20% off coupon. But I am usually afraid of anything from HF that you have to plug in.

Don Geiger
03-31-2010, 8:49 AM
Before you go down that road make, sure you check into the prices of good wheels. 10" wheels are more expensive.

Also, once you raise the grinder up so the guards will clear the Wolverine receivers (or what brand you use) then the platform rest and the V-notch are going to be quite low in relation to the axle of the grinder. I have designed soutions for the V-Notch and Platform rest so they both adjust vertically to work with any height of grinder.

Don Geiger

Roger Secrist
03-31-2010, 8:57 AM
I think Woodcraft is getting a replacement for the old grinder. It should be showing up around the first part of April. It should be around the same price range as the old one.:rolleyes:

Scott Lux
03-31-2010, 9:40 AM
But I am usually afraid of anything from HF that you have to plug in.

In general that's a good policy. But I swear by my drill press and cordless drills. So there are exceptions.

Joshua Dinerstein
03-31-2010, 1:49 PM
The local Lowes here in SLC has a Porter Cable variable speed grinder. It was a 6" for just under a $100. And the 8" for about $120.

It was a variable speed from somewhere near 1700 up to the typical 3500+ rpms. I have been tempted as I am like to play with sharpening systems but I haven't as yet bought one. They had a number of them in the store but online it said that they had none. So check yours personally if you are interested.

The wheels were the standard grey which are junk for sharpening. But devent 8" wheels can be found online for about $20. A lot more expensive than the old Woodcraft deal but might in the end prove to be more usefull.

Joshua

bob svoboda
03-31-2010, 1:57 PM
Woodcraft on-line has a 2K - 3400 for $59.99

Ryan Baker
03-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Woodcraft ended the old slow-speed grinder and they are supposed to be bringing in a new one that is roughly equivalent from a different supplier. I seriously hope the "new" model isn't the Delta VS, because that thing is junk (I have one) -- I don't think it is.

Time will tell if the new "cheap" model is any better or worse than the old cheap model.

Paul Singer
04-16-2010, 4:10 PM
I just took delivery of the new slow speed grinder from Woodcraft. First thing i did was turn it on and the wheels wobbled and the grinder shook a bit. I then took the wheels off and ran it and it is still not super smooth. I have since dressed the wheels and they are a little better but there is still a lot of wobble in one of them. I am going to give it a try over the weekend and see if I want to complain or not. The grinder is from another supplier according to their tech support. I called before I bought because they had the sharpening system on back order and I wanted to know what was going on.

Ted Evans
04-16-2010, 4:30 PM
I have an old 70’s model Craftsman 7” grinder that I have used for years and thought they were suppose to walk across the floor with their stand, until, I recently bought a Baldor 7” grinder. Out of the box, it hardly moved and after truing the wheels to round, a can of water setting on the table will be as smooth as if the machine was not on. Sure, it is a bit more expensive but it is the last one that I will ever have to buy in addition to being a joy to use.

Ted

Stephen Saar
04-16-2010, 4:34 PM
I bought the steel city variable speed grinder from Highland Hardware (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/steelcity8variablespeedbenchgrinder.aspx) and I've been very happy with it. I almost always keep it on it's lowest setting, but it's nice to be able to move it up to the higher setting if I need to do some serious removal.

-Stephen

Rich Aldrich
04-16-2010, 6:39 PM
I bought the Porter Cable from Lowes for $136 with tax. It seems decent. It is 8" and variable speed from 2000 rpm to 3450 rpm. It comes with a 36 and 60 grit wheel. I am buying a Norton 3X 120 to put in place of the 36.

I mounted the wolverine jig on it and sharpened some of my tools and it works good.