PDA

View Full Version : Latest Lathe setup

Thom Sturgill
03-30-2010, 2:53 PM
After not getting the message form the shipper Friday until too late to schedule the delivery Monday, I received the lathe this morning. One of my sons was at the house and helped carry pieces from the carport to the 'library' where I am setting up shop for the new lathe.
First picture is on the carport. Second is the bed sitting on the legs. Notice the stick propping one end up. I cut a board the length the manual stated to use as a spacer.
Last two pics are in place leveled and powered up ready for work. Every thing checks out and I will do Steve's switch mod next. The box shows in the next to the last picture, I need to replace the cable, I used one that was too heavy. Now I'm waiting on PSI to deliver my spindle adapter so that I can use my chucks, and finish the piece that was too big for my 1220. That's the kitchen window in the last shot, the sink light should work well for extra lightning.

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2010, 2:59 PM
Congrats on getting your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing your first turning off of it!

Have fun! You are going to love it!

bob svoboda
03-30-2010, 3:04 PM
Congrats Thom! Nice looking machine--who needs a library?:D

larry cronkite
03-30-2010, 3:18 PM
After not getting the message form the shipper Friday until too late to schedule the delivery Monday, I received the lathe this morning. One of my sons was at the house and helped carry pieces from the carport to the 'library' where I am setting up shop for the new lathe.
First picture is on the carport. Second is the bed sitting on the legs. Notice the stick propping one end up. I cut a board the length the manual stated to use as a spacer.
Last two pics are in place leveled and powered up ready for work. Every thing checks out and I will do Steve's switch mod next. The box shows in the next to the last picture, I need to replace the cable, I used one that was too heavy. Now I'm waiting on PSI to deliver my spindle adapter so that I can use my chucks, and finish the piece that was too big for my 1220. That's the kitchen window in the last shot, the sink light should work well for extra lightning.

What's Steve's switch mod?

David Gilbert
03-30-2010, 4:30 PM
Dale and Steve rewired their switch assemblies so they could be moved around to more convenient locations. Here is the link for the switch mod. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1320961#poststop

I did the same thing. I purchased a plastic electrical box from the big box store down the street and then moved the entire on/off, lathe direction, and variable speed controller to the new box. I can move my switches all the way to the end of the lathe. I used an old serial cable that had twenty small wires. Since there are five wires that go to the switch assembly, I grouped them together and soldiered them. I was careful to check the continuity of each before I proceeded. Then, one at a time, I cut the wires, connected either end of the serial cable to the lathe and the switch assembly. I then plugged in the lathe, tested the unit and then proceeded to do each of the five connections. Since the voltage going to these switches is very small (something like 5 volts) I didn't worry about moving the switch. I think there were some notes about directly adding a switch by hooking directly into the electronics of the speed controller. I can use a volt meter but draw the line at interfacing with the electronics of my lathe. I used the magnets like Leo Van Der Loo suggested to attach the unit to the lathe and it worked great. The only other change that I made was to move the JET nameplate over to the leg since the it seems that my switch assembly wants to be at that location.

Cheers,
David

George Guadiane
03-30-2010, 4:44 PM
Congratulations on a great lathe! I'm sure you will (safely) enjoy it!!

Thom Sturgill
03-30-2010, 5:12 PM
There is a 16ma signal current that runs from the reverse switch to ground via the ON/OFF switch. This current activates logic in the VFD. I interrupted that line with a switch mounted in a box that attaches to the bed with magnets. Since it is in series with the main on/off switch, both must be in the ON position for the lathe to operate. This allows two things:

1) I can turn the lathe off from the end without reaching around a square bowl or other hazard.

2) If I have to leave for a bathroom break, I switch BOTH off and any kids that may come by can't turn the machine on without using both switches.

John Keeton
03-30-2010, 6:40 PM
I am jealous on several counts!

First, what is it with you and Schlumpf and carpeted quarters for your lathes?? Makes me feel like I am turning in some sort of second rate warehouse or something!:D

Secondly, I have another case of lathe envy!:mad: All you recent 1642 buyers make me long for bigger and better!

And, finally, I want a kitchen next to my lathe!!:) Maybe Ms. Keeton would be kind enough to pass a cold beverage thru the window!;)

Steve Mawson
03-30-2010, 7:53 PM
Very nice and neat placement of the new machine. Might want to close the kitchen window when the curlies are flying. Sink full of chips might be more than garbage disposal can handle.:D:D

Bill Bolen
03-30-2010, 8:02 PM
WTG Thom and a nice little pictorial. Looking forwar to seeing what you do with her...Bill...

David E Keller
03-30-2010, 8:05 PM
Congrats on the new lathe.

If there are heat and air intakes in that space, I'd definitely give some consideration to air filtering and dust collection lest you clog up the main unit(or worse, your lungs!).

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Congrats on your new lathe.

Alan Trout
03-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Congratulations, It looks like you will be having lots of fun.

Alan